Berry Baked Oats – Like a mix of porridge and cake. It’s the perfect meal for breakfast when you crave something sweet but yet nutritiously dense!
Berry Baked Oats – Perfect for breakfast as well as a snack!
These Berry Baked Oats are like a combination of porridge and cake! Not overly sweet, but sweet enough to satisfy a sweet tooth! This meal is perfect to make if you’re feeding a crowd, or if you simply want to meal prep your breakfast for the week, as these baked oats reheat well in the microwave. Just pop a piece in the microwave for half a minute, just to warm it up, as these baked oats are best enjoyed warm, not piping hot though.
You can also enjoy these baked oats as an afternoon snack, as it will give you the energy you need to power though the day! If you would like to enjoy this as a snack, use half a piece of the size you would serve for breakfast, otherwise it may fill you up so much that you won’t be ready for dinner!
Serve these Berry Baked Oats with a dollop of creamy greek yogurt for a boost of protein and calcium. If you like, why not a small dollop of peanut butter! And for extra sweetness you can drizzle the oats with sweetener of your choice.
Berry Baked Oats – Nutritional Breakdown
Oats are perfect for breakfast as they’re loaded with carbohydrates, fibre and protein and will provide your body with the energy to keep you feeling alert and amazing! The addition of eggs will boost the protein content, and if you serve this meal with greek yogurt the protein content will go up further.
Some highlights of these baked oats are
- Beta-glucans – A type of fiber found in grains such as barley and oats. Beta-glucans have been shown to reduce cholesterol levels, as it work as a sponge and absorbs the cholesterol in the gut, which can affect overall cholesterol levels. This can be valuable for people with high cholesterol levels. Beta-glucans can also keep your blood sugar levels stay stable and balanced after consumption.
- Magnesium – Oats a a great source of the mineral magnesium. Magnesium can help your body relax and may also have a positive effect on decreasing the symptoms of PMS.
- Iron – Iron is the most common nutritional deficiency world wide, and oats are a great source of iron. Iron is needed for the oxygen to be transported to all the cells in the body, and the cells need oxygen to produce energy. Low levels of iron can affect the energy production in the body and cause tiredness and fatigue.
This recipe uses frozen berries instead of fresh berries, as frozen berries cost a fraction of what fresh berries cost. Also, they’re equally as nutritious, or sometimes even more nutritious, as freezing berries can help them to retain their nutritional value!
If you wish to make these baked oats dairy free, simply use dairy free milk such as oat milk and serve it with plant-based yogurt! To make it gluten free, use certified gluten free oats!
Looking for more recipes with oats?
If you make this recipe, please comment and rate it. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag @nutritionistmeetschef on Instagram!
Berry Baked Oats - Just as good for breakfast as for an afternoon snack! Perfect meal to make when feeding a crowd. Serves 8 breakfast portions and 16 snack portions.
- 480 ml / 2 cups milk of your choice
- 4 eggs
- 0.5 tsp vanilla powder / vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp golden syrup (honey or maple syrup works too)
- 0.25 tsp baking soda
- 501 grams / 1/2 cup desiccated unsweetened coconut
- 180 grams / 2 cups porridge oats (use certified gluten free for a gluten free version)
- 300 g / 3 cups frozen mix berries (in this recipe a mixture of strawberries, raspberries, black currant and red currants were used)
Preheat the oven to 200°C / 180°C fan
Whisk the egg, milk, baking soda, vanilla and syrup until combined.
Add oats, coconut and berries and mix with a spoon.
Pour the mixture into a greased baking dish (around 20 x 30 cm)
Bake in the middle in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until slightly golden on top and firm.
Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Serve with greek yogurt, peanut butter (or any nut butter if you wish) and for extra sweetness drizzle with a little bit of sweetener of your choice.