The best carrot hot dog! So good that it’s better than the real deal!
As it’s the world vegan month, what better recipe is there to share than a vegan hot dog that’s actually healthy AND tasty?
It was the chef who created this recipe. He created it a few weeks back, when he had to make a hot dog for a person who was vegan and didn’t eat gluten, soy or dairy. When he got the request to make this hot dog, he jokingly said to himself
“Maybe I could just put a carrot in a finger roll”
And as he thought that, he realised that it wasn’t such a bad idea, if cooked right. So he got cooking and poached the carrots in a spiced brine. And these carrot were a big hit!
When he told me this, I had him make one for me straight away. And when I had the first bite I really thought that this is the best hot dog I’ve ever had. Or to be correct, the best carrot dog.
To make these carrot dogs, carrot are poached in a lovely blend of juniper berries, whole peppers, all spice, bay leafs, fennel seeds, chilli, a generous dash of salt and a pinch of sugar. And then they are cooked until they are very, very soft. They should almost be so soft that a toothless person could eat it. But not so soft so they fall apart.
And I swear, they do not taste like poached carrots! They’re extremely flavoursome, and as they’re slow poached for a good time they have a similar softness to them like a hot dog.
You can enjoy these carrot hot dogs with your favourite condiments, but I really recommend serving them this with parsley mustard dressing that you can find in the instructions below. It is AMAZING and if you’re a dijon mustard fiend (the chef says I have issues with dijon because I eat so much of it… ) like me, you will love it! And yes, the mustard dressing is vegan, provided that the mustard is vegan.
So if you want to explore some more vegan food, check out these recipes
- Cauliflower steaks with spicy peanut sauce – this is beyond delicious
- Spicy chickpea burger with coriander mayo – My all time favourite veggie burger!
- Coconut roasted carrot & puy lentil salad A hearty, warm salad that’s PACKED with flavour and is incredibly satisfying
- Pumpkin spice latte chia pudding – You cannot go wrong with this one!
If you try out this carrot hot dog, let me know what you thought of it and if you too think it’s the best carrot hot dog!
- 3-5 carrots
- 500 ml water (+extra)
- 1 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp whole peppercorns
- 9 juniper berries
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 bay leafs
- 3 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1.5 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Peel and cut the carrot to desired length or so they fit the breads
- Take a pan, just big enough to fit the carrots. Add water and all the other remaining ingredients.
- Place the carrots in the liquid and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Turn it down to a low boil, so it's still bubbling but not hard boiling. Leave to boil for anywhere between 20-40 minutes, depending on your carrots. You want to cook them until they are soft, so they are almost falling apart, but not. (the cooking liquor may reduce down quite alot thats ok, just top it up. just so that it barely covers the carrots.)
- Once cooked, remove from the liquid and serve with parsley mustard dressing, roasted onion flakes or your condiments of choice.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl. Whisk with a fork until combined.
The best carrot hot dog is
- Gluten free, nut free and soy free (make sure the bread and condiments are free as well)
- Low calorie
- Rich in vitamin A