Roasted beets with halloumi and pomegranate vinaigrette. A great side dish to chicken or fish!
So the other day I bought a bunch of beets. You know when the beets still have the leaves left and it’s all tied up in a bunch.
It makes the food look so much more pretty when they leave the tops on. And it might sound silly, but I think it makes food shopping more fun.
Actually, food shopping is always fun. One of my favourite things to do. Walking around, looking at all the produce and getting inspiration to create new dishes. Anyone agreeing with this?
Thats what happened the other day in the shop. I saw these lovely looking beets and I wanted to make something fun with them. Not just roast them with some salt and pepper. Something more, something to bring out their full potential.
Then I saw some juicy looking pomegranates, and remembered I had some halloumi in the fridge and after a short briefing with the chef we decided to make these roasted beets with halloumi and pomegranate vinaigrette. Finished with fresh mint. And it was a success, so I had to share it here.
So what is great with this dish? First of all, it has beets. Beets are just lovely in so many ways. Not only are they absolutely delicious, but they have numerous health benefits.
First of all, beets are rich in fibre as well as being a good source of folate and manganese. Folate is crucial for the developement of a babys spinal cord during pregnancy. Folate is also needed for the formation of red bloods cells, which are needed for oxygen transportation in the body and to keep you energised.
But beets also are rich in nitrate and studies have shown that nitrate has the possibility to reduce blood pressure, as nitrate is converted to nitric oxides in the body, which in turn can make the artheries wider and lower blood pressure.
Simple, easy and healthy. If you love beets, you will love this recipe!
- 500 g beetroot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g halloumi
- Handfull mint
- Pomegranate seeds from one fruit
- Salt, pepper
- ½ cup pomegranate juice (either store bought or you can make it yourself*.)
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 4 tsp cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 4 tsp neutral oil
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tsp dijon
- salt, pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Wash and half your beetroots (or quarter them, depending on the size)
- Drizzle oil over the beets and rub it in.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove the beets from the oven
- Turn the oven to grill (broiler) setting.
- Grate or chop the halloumi into small pieces and sprinkle over the beets.
- Grill in the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese have achieved a golden colour.
- Remove from the oven.
- Drizzle over the pomegranate vinaigrette, pomegranate seeds and fresh mint leaves.
- Serve immediately.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until combined. Season with salt and pepper.