The new improved golden milk with one secret ingredient that makes this drink even better!
If you’re into health and wellness, you’ve probably heard about golden milk. If you haven’t heard about it, let me fill you in. Golden milk is a drink made with milk, turmeric and other spices, such as ginger and cinnamon. This drink is really hyped at the moment, as it has turmeric in it. And turmeric it the spice that the fuss is all about.
Something to remember though, is that in these studies, it’s the effect of curcumin which is the active component in turmeric, that’s been studied. And the doses used in the studies are pretty massive, and would be hard to get through your diet alone as turmeric only has about 3% curcumin. So what you can do is add turmeric to your diet when you make curries, soups or why not make yourself a nice cuppa golden milk to get a little bit of goodness in you. Every little helps!
There are many recipes for golden milk out on the big world wide web, but this improved golden milk has one secret ingredient.
A while back I watched a tv programme in this programme they were talking about how saffron was being used back in the days for treating the blues and that it might be useful in treating depression! After learning about this I felt compelled to learn more about saffron and it’s properties!
So after learning about saffron being very good for you I decided that I had to learn more about this spice and below are a few interesting studies I found on saffron.
Studies on Saffron
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS): This study shows that saffron might be effective in relieving symptoms of PMS.
- Anti-oxidant: Saffron possess some anti-oxidant effect similar to carontenoids as well as being a free radical scavenger. Saffron may also prevent lipid peroxidation due to its antioxidant activity.
- Anti-depressant: Saffron might have some anti-depressive properties and may improve symptoms of depression.
Straight away after learning these facts about saffron I wanted to make a golden milk. With saffron in it. Turmeric + Saffron = Double the dose of goodness!
And was it good? You bet. The taste is richer, the colour is more vibrantly yellow, and I do believe it makes me feel better. Maybe it’s the taste, the beautiful colour, or all the active compounds in this drink that makes me feel better. Or all things combined. Either way, it’s a delicious drink!
I know that saffron is a very expensive spice, but luckily, a little goes a long way in this drink!
I cant promise any miracles if you drink this drink, and despite many promising studies on both turmeric and saffron, it’s not a golden (no pun intended) ticket to health. But I can tell you that the beautiful colour and the taste of this drink will for sure make you feel better and lift your mood.
I usually make this with oat milk, as it adds sweetness and a nice creaminess to it, and I’ve made it with both cows milk and coconut milk and it was beautiful as well. Haven’t tried it with almond milk yet, but I’m sure it will taste great as well!
So here you go, the improved golden milk!
- 240 ml (1 cup) milk of your choice (I like to use oat milk)
- 0.25 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 0.25 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cardamon pods
- Small pinch of black pepper
- A few strands of saffron (about 2-3 strands)
- Honey (optional)
- Add a third of your milk into a sauce pan. Heat up until it gets hot, but not to the boil.
- Add all the spices, stir until incorporated.
- Pour the rest of the milk into the pan, and cook on a medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- If you wish to have your drink sweetened, add a teaspoon or two into your drink.