Charred Red Pepper Caprese Salad. This mouthwatering salad is a flavour bomb that ticks all the boxes.
Caprese salad. Such a simple yet mouthwatering salad. The original recipe is just tomato, mozzarella, basil, olive oil and salt and pepper. But it’s fun to change things up from time to time, so in this recipe charred red peppers are added to the salad.
And it works. Really works. Like it should be in the original recipe.
Quite often, a caprese salad is presented in a very well coordinated way. Thick slices of tomato and mozzarella are placed together so they create a band of red and white with basil leaves strategically scattered over.
In this version though, that is completely ignored. Instead it’s all about making the salad more rustic by chopping everything into smaller pieces and tossing it all together. This just makes everything much easier to prepare.
I highly recommend that you make this with mixed coloured cherry tomatoes, mainly due to aesthetic reasons though. But of course normal tomaotes will do!
And one last thing before the recipe that is important when making this dish. And that is that you have to
SPANK YOUR BASIL!
Yup, give it a good slap, like when you clap your hands. This will help to bring out the aromas and flavours from the basil! But make sure you don’t slap it too hard though, as it can cause the herbs to bruise and taste bitter. So a gentle little slap will bring out the best from the herbs.
- 1 large red pepper
- 300 g cherry tomatoes (preferably mixed colours)
- 125 g mozarella ball
- 4 sprigs of basil (about a handful)
- A good glugg olive oil (about 3 tbsp)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Start with charring you red pepper by roasting it in the oven on full blast until charred (or grill them)
- Once charred, place the hot charred red pepper in a sealed container and leave for 15 minutes. This will steam of the skin and make it easier to peel it off. After 15 minutes (or when the pepper is cool enough to touch) you should be able to rub the skin of or peel it of.
- While the red pepper is cooling, halv or quarter the tomaotes and place in a bowl.
- Take the basil in your hand and slap it like you were clapping (this will release the flavours and the aromas of the basil) Tear it up and throw in the bowl.
- Peel the pepper and slice it as you wish. Add to the tomato and basil.
- Drain your mozzarella and tear into pieces. Add to the salad, season with salt and pepper and toss until combined.