Cauliflower steaks with Spicy Peanut Sauce. This glorious dish is both vegan AND gluten free and comes together in less than 30 minutes. So no excuses not try this recipe out.
“This is absolutely amazing… And I don’t even like peanut butter!”
This is what the Chef exclaimed when he had a bite of these cauliflower steaks with spicy peanut sauce. And let me tell you, he basically licked the plate clean after eating finishing this meal.
That’s how good this recipe is!
In this simple recipe, we have cauliflower steaks that are chargrilled and baked in the oven until tender. Once tender, they are drizzled with a the most glorious peanut sauce then topped with some fresh coriander (cilantro) and red chilli.
The peanut sauce is made with peanut butter, coconut milk, ginger, garlic and lime, all combined until smooth. It’s pretty similar to a satay sauce!
Have you ever had a cauliflower steak? If you haven’t, you should try it out.
It’s healthy, filling and super easy to prepare. All you need is a large cauliflower. Check where the stem is, and usually when you have a large one you should be able to get at least 2 steaks. The remaining cauliflower can be cooked as well and eaten on the side, or keep it for another day. Prepare the steak by grilling them on a griddle pan to get those nice streaks, or you can bake them in the oven at 175°C until slightly golden and tender.
Serve this dish with some fluffy quinoa for a extra protein boost, or some jasmine rice to give it a proper asian feel. And a green salad of course.
These cauliflower steaks with spicy peanut sauce are both vegan & gluten free and takes about 3o minutes to make, from start to finish!
And also, the sauce might be a big batch for some. The chef and I devoured the sauce between the both of us, so if you don’t eat as much sauce as we do, the sauce will stay fresh in the fridge up to 2 days, so you can make another batch of this dish if you wish!
This dish can also easily be transformed into a starter or as finger food for a party by breaking the florets off the cauliflower and roast them off in the oven, serving the roasted cauliflower florets with the peanut butter sauce.
Get stuck into these cauliflower steaks with spicy peanut sauce!
- 1 large head of cauliflower, leaves removed
- Coconut Oil
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) peanut butter (I used crunchy, no added sugar peanut butter)
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 0.5 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced.
- 1 tsp honey
- Salt to taste
- Chopped Coriander /cilantro
- Chopped Chilli
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Whisk until combined and smooth. Add salt to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C
- Chop the caulilflower into two ¾" steaks, by placing the cauliflower on a chopping board with the stem pointing upwards. Reserve the florets.
- Heat a griddle pan on a high heat. Fry the steaks until they have black steaks. Remove from the pan, rub a little bit of oil and salt and bake in the oven until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Serve the steaks with the peanut sauce, fresh coriander/cilantro and finely chopped chilli.
The florets can be baked in the oven and added to the meal, or saved for another recipe.