This cauliflower and red lentil curry is the perfect meal for those days you crave something comforty yet satisfying & healthy!
Some days you just want to eat something comfort-y (is that even a word?). And when I need something comforty, I almost always reach for bowl food. Right now, this cauliflower and red lentil curry served with black rice is the bowl food is what’s been cooking at my place lately.
Black rice, or also known as forbidden rice, is a slightly chewy, nutritious and incredibly tasty variety of rice. It has a rich, slightly nutty and slightly sweet taste. The rice is almost black as it has high levels of anthocyanin, a pigment found in other dark coloured foods such as blueberries, aubergines (skin), dark grapes & beets. Anthocyanin is not only a pigment, but is also a powerful antioxidant that’s been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties and it can prevent the absorption of cholesterol from the diet! Black rice is also rich in fibre, minerals and vitamins that you need to give you energy and keep your body strong and healthy. So what’s not to like about this rice?
And if I have to choose between brown rice or black rice, I always go for black rice! If you can find it in your supermarket, I urge you to try it out!
To make this cauliflower and red lentil curry, you start with making a curry paste. It’s really easy to prepare, and you can make it a pestle and mort, if you feel ambitious. And I intended to make the paste in a pestle and mort, but I ended up making it in the food processor. Loads easier in a food processor. So don’t let the picture above fool you. (but you can make it in a pestle and mort, I’ve done it before!)
Once the paste is done, you cook it off in a hot pan until fragrant, add the lentils and cook for a minute or two. Add the coconut milk & water, cook for 10 minutes, add the cauliflower and cook for another 5-10 minutes, or until the lentils and cauliflower are tender. Done!
As this cauliflower and red lentil curry has red lentils in it, the lentils kinda half dissolve and this adds a lovely creaminess to the curry, as well as adding a good dose of plant based protein too! Double the goodness!
Serve this cauliflower and red lentil curry with black rice, shredded red cabbage, plenty of coriander and a good handful of toasted cashew nuts just to give it that little extra finish touch and your dinner is ready to be enjoyed!
- Black rice (enough for 3-4 people
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 red chilies, chopped
- 1 lemon grass, chopped
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, melted
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 130 g dried red lentils (1/2 cup + ¼ cup)
- ½ cauliflower head (400 g), chopped into florets
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 300 ml (1+ ¼ cups) water
- Salt to taste
- Toasted Cashew Nuts
- Coriander (cilantro)
- Rice (I recommend black rice)
- Shredded red cabbage
- Fresh chilli
- Cook the rice according to instructions on the package
- Make a curry paste by combining garlic, red onion, chilies, lemon grass, ginger, coriander seeds and coconut oil in a food processor and blend until smooth. (or you can use a pestle and mort if you don't have a food processor.)
- Fry the curry paste on medium heat for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add the lentils, fry for a minute or two and add the coconut milk and water. Cook on a low-medium heat for 10 minutes. Add more water if it gets too thick.
- Add the cauliflower florets and cook for another 5-10 minutes, or until the lentils and cauliflower is tender.
- Season with salt
- Serve with rice, cabbage, toasted cashew nuts, fresh chili, a good handful of coriander, and a squeeze of fresh lime