If you want to try out something completely different, you should try out this summer rhubarb chicken salad. Tangy, sweet and savoury at the same time, this salad is sure to impress.
One of the best things with cooking is to experiment with food. To try out different flavours, herbs, and vegetables and see what you can create. Sometimes it goes bad, sometimes it works ok but sometimes it’s jackpot.
And that’s what I felt with this summer rhubarb chicken salad.
Rhubarb in a salad you might think? Yeah, I thought so too at first. But it works really well, it adds a nice tanginess to the dish and crunch. The most imporant part though is to not overdo it. I’m sure you’ve had raw rhubarb? It’s just a bit too much. But a little bit goes a long way they say. And that saying really applies to this recipe.
The mixed green beans in this salad also adds that special summer touch to dish. Think haricot verts, long green beans, sugar snaps. Fresh beans are so lush and crunchy and are a wonderful addition to a salad. They just add something special. Like a taste of summer?
Beans are also a good source of fibre and the B-vitamin folate, which is needed to create red blood cells. Red blood cells primary task in the body is to transport oxygen to all the cells so that you can feel alert and energised.
The dressing in this salad is the cherry on the cake. It’s a honey and mint dressing, which rounds of the tanginess of the salad and bring all the flavours together.
So this salad has a nice balance between sweet, sour and salty.
Poached shredded chicken is used in this recipe (really into it right now, it’s so moist and the poached chicken really takes on the flavours used in any recipe) but grilled chicken works as well too! Or if you want to make it vegetarian, I’m sure that white beans would work exceptionally well.
Lets go back to talking about rhubarb.
Rhubarb is something I never really used to care for much before, but is something I’ve lately really been digging. Like there are loads of things you can make with it. You have the classics like rhubarb crumble, rhubarb compot and all the other sweet stuff but you can also use it to make a rhubarb BBQ sauce, rhubarb chutney and rhubarb salsa to name a few!
Do you have any good, or unusual recipes with rhubarb? Please share with me if you do, I would love to hear about them!
Summer Rhubarb Chicken Salad
- 320 g italian flat green beans
- 160 g haricot vert
- 2 chicken breasts
- 100 g rhubarb
mint & honey dressing
- Handful 1/2 cup chopped mint mint
- 60 ml 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 60 ml 1/4 cup oil
- salt & pepper
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- Use either cooked chicken,or poach your chicken by bringing a pot of salted water to boil. Once boiling, lower the temperature so the water is on a low simmer and cook the chicken breasts for15 minutes, or until the inner temperature is 72° or no longer pink. Set aside and let cool.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook the beans for around 4 minutes, or until tender*. Once tender, drain them straight away and refresh in cold water. Set aside.
- Slice the rhubarb in thin slices.
mint & honey dressing
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl an whisk until combined.
- Assemble the salad by combining all ingredients in a bowl, and pour the dressing over.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
**Add half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in the boiling water, as this will keep them green.