Vegetarian Stuffed peppers with quinoa, courgette (zucchini) and feta – A perfect dish for meatless Monday and great to make when feeding a crowd!
The other day the Chef said that stuffed peppers are such an 80’s dish. And I don’t know what you think about the 80’s, but I think that was one pretty darn epic decade. It was the time of amazing music, when people were having pen-pals (and actually writing hand-written letters to each other!) and had eccentric style with no boundaries! There might be some thing that should stay in the 80’s, but stuffed peppers are not one of them!
These vegetarian stuffed peppers are a favourite at home. They are tasty, quick to make and a filling veggie dish!
Start with roasting of the peppers, and while they are roasting, fry the finely chopped courgette and red onions on low-medium heat until soft.
Combine quinoa, vegetables, feta cheese and herbs and stuff the peppers with them, and roast off in the oven for a couple of minutes. DONE!
Simple as that!
WATCH HOW TO MAKE STUFFED PEPPERS WITH QUINOA AND FETA
Vegetarian stuffed peppers – the basics
These vegetarian stuffed peppers are easy to make, mega tasty and good for you!
A portion of these stuffed peppers will provide you with
- Iron – helps to transport oxygen in the body which will help to make you feel alert
- Zinc – which helps to support the immune system and important for healthy hair and nails
- Magnesium – an important mineral which participates in more than 300 reactions in the body!
- Vitamin A – essential for eye health and to keep the immune system strong
- Vitamin C – needed for collagen production which keeps your skin healthy and supple
- Fibre – Important for blood sugar balance, keeping you regular and also important for a healthy microbiota!
Quinoa is the star in this meal! Quinoa is one of my favourite “grains” to cook with as it’s so versatile! Some of my favourite recipes with quinoa on this page are
- Morrocan Style puy-lentil-and-quinoa-salad
- Spiced-turkey-meatballs with quinoa and I love to make this
- Beet and quinoa burger with Goat Cheese
- Breakfast Quinoa Yogurt Pots
It really lends itself well to other flavours and I love using it! I wrote “grain” as quinoa is actually not a grain, it’s a seed and is often referred to a pseudo-grain as it’s used as a grain and has a similar macronutrient profile as grains! Compared to grains, quinoa has a higher protein content and is also a complete protein, meaning that it contains all essential amino acids! It’s also a good source of fibre and complex carbs!
These stuffed peppers with quinoa are a great choice for meatless Monday, or any day really!
If you make these vegetarian stuffed peppers, comment and rate it! And don’t forget to take a picture tag @nutritionistmeetschef on instagram or facebook!
A rendition of an old classic! Stuffed peppers with quinoa, feta and vegetables! Always a winner on the dinner table and ideal for meatless Monday!
- 2 red or yellow peppers
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 courgette (zucchini)
- 1/2 red onion
- 250 g cooked quinoa (about 2 cups)
- 100 g feta cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped mint (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
Pre-heat oven to 200°C/ 392°F /gas 6. Cut the peppers in half and deseed them. Place them with cut side up and drizzle with olive oil. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
Whilst the peppers are baking, chop the courgette and red onion finely. Heat a frying pan. Add the olive oil and fry the red onions and courgette until soft.
Combine cooked red onion and courgette with cooked quinoa, feta cheese (reserve about 1/4 of the feta cheese) and herbs. Combine and add salt and pepper to taste.
Stuff the peppers with the quinoa and vegetable mixture. Crumble the reserved feta cheese over the stuffed peppers.
Place the peppers in the oven again for 5-8 min, and then under the grill for a minute or two, or until golden.
Enjoy the stuffed peppers with spinach, rocket or your green salad of choice!
- 250 g cooked quinoa equals 100 g/ 1/2 cup of uncooked quinoa