Today, as it’s Meatless Monday I will share this recipe with you that I made a few days ago, stuffed courgette with puy lentils and caramelised red onions.
The idea for this recipe came from a recipe for pizza bianco that I stumbled across the other day, which had caramelised onions, courgette and mushrooms on it. And then I thought, why not make a stuffed courgette using these ingredients together with puy lentils?
Puy lentils is one of my favourite pulses to use for cooking. They have a lovely nutty flavour and great texture, as they keep their shape during cooking and don’t get mushy. Like other lentils, puy lentils are also a good source of protein, fibre and iron!
Filling, hearty and full of flavour, this vegetarian meal is great for Meatless Monday!
Stuffed courgette with puy lentils and caramelised red onion
- 100 g 1/2 cup dry puy lentils
- 2 courgettes
- 10 chestnut mushrooms
- 1 red onion
- 0.5 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Splash of red vinegar 1-2 tsp
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 40 g / 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 50 g mozzarella
- Thyme or basil optional
- Start with cooking your lentils according to the instructions on the packet.
- Preheat the oven to 225C/gas mark 7
- Cut the courgette in half. Scoop out and discard the seeds.
- Rub a little bit of olive oil on the cut side, and bake in the oven for 15 min, skin side down.
- Whilst the courgette is cooking, start with caramelising the red onions by roughly slice the onion.
- Melt the butter in a pan and and add the red onions. Cook on a low heat for around 10 minutes. Once soft and shiny, add a splash of red vinegar, scrape the pan and add the sugar. Cook for a minute and then it's done.
- Cut the mushrooms into small pieces. Fry in a non-stick pan until soft.
- Combine mushrooms, puy lentils, caramelised onions and parmesan in a bowl. Taste with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Stuff the courgette with the lentil mixture and finish with pieces of torn mozzarella.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Finish with thyme or basil. Serve with a green leafy salad.