Strawberry Goat Cheese Salad with Balsamic Dressing – Goat cheese pairs amazingly well with the sweet juicy strawberries and the balsamic vinaigrette brings all the flavours together!
Goat cheese (chèvre style) is one of my favourite cheeses. If I go to a restaurant to eat and they have a dish with goat cheese, 8 out of 10 times I’ll go for that. We almost always have a log of chévre lurking in the fridge and there may be times where I just cut myself a slice (or two…) of the log and eat it straight from the frigde… Yum!
So in this salad I’m sharing today the goat cheese is paired with strawberries, rocket, toasted pine nuts for that crunch and finished with a balsamic vinaigrette! It’s so simple yet bursting with flavour! This salad is a real summer favourite and I will for sure make this again (and again) while strawberries are still in season!
Taking about strawberries, let’s delve into the health benefits of the humble strawberry! Well, berry and berry, botanically it’s not a berry, more a fruit, but I still call it a berry.
Strawberries are a great a source of vitamin C, and vitamin C is so vital for us on so many levels! It boosts the immune system keeping you strong and healthy, it’s important for wound healing an it’s essential for the production of collagen, which improves the skin elasticity, which keeps your skin in tip top shape!
Strawberries are also a good source of folate, important for the production of new cells and the synthesis of neurotransmitters such as serotonin! So no wonder why it feels so good to eat them! Strawberries also provide you with dietary fibre, which help to keep you regular, feed your gut flora, stabilise blood sugar levels and can reduce cholesterol levels!
And like most other berries, strawberries are also rich in antioxidants that keep free radicals at bay! The pigments that give strawberries their red deep colour is called anthocyanin and have anti-inflammatory properties, which can protect against inflammation, boost brain function and also promote heart health!
Basil Strawberry Goat Cheese Salad
- 200 g / 2 cups strawberries, halved
- 150 g Goat Cheese (Chevre), crumbled
- 25 g / 1/4 cup pine nuts
- A few handfuls of rocket/arugula
- Handful of Basil or Mint
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1.5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt and ppper
- Start with toasting the pine nuts by heating a dry pan on high medium heat. Add the pine nuts at toast them for 1 minute, stirring from time to time, or until they're lightly browned on each side. Keep an eye on the nuts so they don't burn. Once toasted, transfer over to a clean plate and set a side to cool.
- Arrange the salad by placing the rocket on the bottom of the plate, then strawberries, crumbled goat cheese and finally the toasted pine nuts.
- Prepare the dressing by either placing all ingredients in a jar with a lid and give it a good shake, or place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad. Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!