A spicy chickpea burger with coriander mayo and pickled carrots! So good that it will convert the most devout meat eater!
Chickpeas are amazing little things! They are tasty, inexpensive and very good for you! They’re rich in blood building iron, immune boosting zinc and dietary fibres that’s good for your gut health and can help to lower your cholesterol levels!
But they’re also great for making a mean veggie burger, like this spicy chickpea burger!
This burger is made with chickpeas and boiled potatoes, making it egg free, dairy free and gluten free!
It’s important that when making this burger, you don’t overwork the mix! The trick is to use your hands to combine the chickpeas and potato until they are just combined!
There should be whole small bits of both potato and chickpea in the finished mix. Not completely smooth like a hummus. If you overwork the mixture, the burger will be more mushy. It’s like eating hummus with a crispy coating!
So remember, don’t overwork the chickpea and potato mix!
HOW TO MAKE SPICY CHICKPEA BURGER
I love to serve this spicy chickpea burger with coriander (cilantro) mayo and pickled carrot, but it’s also nice with a sriracha mayo, tomato and lettuce too!
Also, if you make these and use canned chickpeas, don’t throw the brine! The brine can be used to make these egg free peanut butter cookies!
Spicy chickpea burger with coriander mayo and pickled carrots
Spicy Chickpeas burgers
- 230 g chickpeas 400 g canned
- 2 medium potatoes or 3 small potatoes, boiled and peeled (they should weight about 160-170 g in total)
- 1 tsp sambal oelek or sriracha
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1.5 tsp finely chopped garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp potato starch
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 3 tbsp mayonaise
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
Quickly pickled carrots
- 1 medium carrot
- 50 ml white vinegar
- 100 ml water
- 4 tbsp sugar
- Start with making the pickled carrots and the mayo.
Quickly pickled carrots.
- Peel the carrot and use the peeler to slice small ribbons of carrot. Place the carrots in a bowl of cold water to help them firm up.
- Add the water listed above, vinegar and sugar to a pan and simmer until sugar's dissolved.
- Remove carrots from cold water and place in another bowl. Pour vinegar mixture over the carrots. Leave for minimum 30 min (the longer the better though). Drain before serving.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and crush it all together with your hands until it binds together. Shape into 3 burgers and fry in oil for 2 minutes on each side on medium high heat.
- Serve the burger with bread of your choice, on rice or with a lettuce wrap and serve with fresh lettuce, coriander mayo and top of with quickly pickled carrots!