Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with orange, cranberry and an orange & dijon vinaigrette. A fresh salad to serve on the Christmas Table!
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad – A fresh winter salad
Some people love brussels sprouts, others don’t. If you belong into the latter camp, maybe this salad can convert you. And if you’re a fan of these little mini cabbages, you’re in for a treat!
This shaved brussels sprouts salad has orange, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds and a orange and dijon vinaigrette. The sweetness from both the orange and dried cranberry cuts the slightly bitterness from the brussel sprouts, and the toasted pumpkin seeds adds a nice crunch. The orange and dijon vinaigrette is the sauce that pulls all the flavours together in this wintery salad.
This salad is great to have with Christmas dinner or with a roast dinner.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad – Nutrition Facts
- Supports the immune system: Antioxidants, minerals and vitamins found in this salad can help to support the immune system.
- Help to keep your bones strong: Brussel Sprouts are rich in vitamin K, a nutrient that play a role in keeping your bones strong and healthy.
- Good for strong hair, nails and skin: Pumpkin seeds are a good source of zinc, a mineral which is important to keep your nails, skin and hair strong and healthy.
- Feeds your microbiota: The fibre in this meal can help to feed the microbiota in your gut! And a healthy microbiota is linked to general wellbeing and a strong immune system!
This salad is gluten-, nut- and dairy free! The pumpkin seeds can be swapped for other seeds or if you like nuts, hazelnuts would work!
Thinking about what to cook for Christmas? Check out the recipes below
- Christmas Roast Chicken – An aromatic roast chicken with orange, cinnamon, cloves and star anise! This salad goes well with this chicken
- Honey Roasted Parsnips – A classic! Serve this with the christmas roast chicken and shaved brussels sprouts salad for a mini Christmas dinner!
- Quinoa Stuffed Red Cabbage Rolls – A vegetarian option for Christmas
If you make this shaved brussels sprouts salad, comment and rate it! And take a picture and tag @nutritionistmeetschef on Instagram
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 350 g brussel sprouts
- 1-2 orange
- 40 g / 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 40 g / 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
Orange and Dijon Dressing
- 2.5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp dijon
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- Remove the outer leaves from the brussels sprouts and cut of the stem
- Finely shave the brussels sprouts with the help of a mandolin or with a sharp knife
- Peel and fillet the oranges. Chop into smaller pieces. Mix the orange with the shaved brussels sprouts, dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds.
- Combine all ingredients for the dressing and whisk until combined. Pour over the salad
- Season the salad with salt and pepper.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds for extra flavour.
- Swap one of the oranges for a blood orange for extra colour!