Breakfast Quinoa Yogurt Pot – Loaded with all the nutrients you need to kickstart your day!
If any of the options below apply to you
- Bored of overnight oats
- Can’t eat oats
- Want a filling yet light breakfast
- Want to try something new
- Have leftover quinoa in the fridge
- None of the above
Then this Breakfast Quinoa Yogurt Pot is for you! It’s easy to prepare and it can be varied in many ways! Also, it’s gluten free and can be both dairy free and nut free!
This breakfast quinoa yogurt pot is a great way to use up left over quinoa! And it’s completely gluten free. And even though you can find gluten free oats, I’ve met a few celiacs that don’t do well on gluten free oats, so this recipe is great for you who can’t tolerate oats!
Here is a little nutritional breakdown of this recipe:
- Quinoa: A great source slow release carbohydrates and fibre which both will help to keep your blood sugar stable! It also contains a good dose of complete protein, which means it contains all essential amino acids you need to build muscle!
- Apples: Apples contain vitamin C, polyphenols (a type of antioxidant!) and pectin, a soluble fibre which may reduce LDL cholesterol (the “bad” cholesterol) without affecting HDL cholesterol (the good one)
- Cinnamon: This sweet spice can help balance blood sugar levels!
- Walnuts: A good source of plant based omega-3! Also rich in vitamin E which works as an antioxidant in the body and is also important for healthy skin!
- Pumpkin seeds: Rich in immune boosting zinc and magnesium!
WATCH HOW TO MAKE BREAKFAST QUINOA YOGURT POT!
As mentioned, this quinoa yogurt pot can be made dairy free by simply using dairy free yogurt – I’m sure that coconut yogurt would taste really good! Also, feel free to change the toppings to whatever you have in the fridge or what’s in season! Right now I add apples as they’re in season, but pears, blueberries and raspberries work great too! Or any other fruit for that matter! And if you can’t tolerate any of the seeds or nuts used, just swap them to ones you can eat!
Also, this breakfast quinoa yogurt pot can be prepared the day before, and on those days when I prepare this the night before, I always add an extra teaspoon of chia seeds to “soak up” any water that the apples or berries may release sitting in the pot over night.
Breakfast Quinoa Yogurt Pot
- 112 ml / 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 240 ml / 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 apple, chopped.
- walnuts, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, raisins, cinnamon
- Combine quinoa, yogurt and vanilla in a pot and stir until combined.
- Add the toppings (feel free to change the toppings to your liking) and sweeten with a little bit of maple syrup or honey if needed.
- Gluten Free
- Dairy free - Use dairy free yogurt!
- Make sure the quinoa is cool before you mix it with the yogurt!
- If preparing the night before, you can add a little bit of lemon juice on the apples before you add them to the pot as this will prevent them from browning. Also, if you have chia seeds, add a teaspoon over as this will soak up any excess water the apples may release.
- Calorie content is an estimate and based on the yogurt, quinoa and a medium sized apple. Any additional toppings such as seeds, nuts or sweetener will change this number