Quinoa Patties with feta, parsley and garlic – a great meat-free meal! Served with a spiralized carrot salad! Gluten free and nut free!
Earlier this year I made this beet and quinoa burger, which was really delicious! Adding quinoa to veggie burgers adds a really nice texture! So the other day I had some quinoa and feta cheese in the fridge that I wanted to make something with, and instead of making a simple feta quinoa salad, I made these delicious quinoa patties!
I served these quinoa patties on a bed of spiralized carrots! Keeping it fresh and healthy!
So let’s get into the recipe!
These quinoa patties consist of oats, eggs, quinoa, parsley and garlic which are simply combined and then pressed into small patties. So they’re vegetarian and gluten free!
Also, these scrumptious quinoa patties can also be FODMAP friendly by simply omitting the garlic in the patties. They’ll still be full of flavour thanks to the feta cheese and parsley!
The carrot salad is prepared by spiralizing the carrots and mixing them with olive oil, vinegar, parsley, salt and pepper. You can swap the carrots to courgette or beets if you wish, but I normally go for carrots and especially now when they’re in season!
And if you don’t own a spiralizer, you can simply crate the carrots. But I recommend you to invest in a spiralizer! You can pick them up quite cheap on amazon these days and they’re really handy to have!
Talking about spiralizers, I truly think it’s only of my favourite kitchen tools (after my microplane and kenwood kitchen machine) Spiralizers are such a ingenious way to eat more veg (and I keep going on about eating more veg, but it’s truly one of the most important and easiest thing you can do to ensure you get all the essential nutrients your body needs!)
WATCH HOW TO MAKE QUINOA PATTIES
As usual, like with most of my recipes, I will do a quick nutrition recap before getting to the method for all you who might be interested in the nutritional aspects of this recipe.
- Quinoa: Good source of both carbohydrates and protein! The protein in quinoa is complete, meaning it contain all amino acids in the right ratios we need!
- Feta: Rich in protein, vitamin B2, vitamin B12 and calcium!
- Carrots: Loaded with beta-carotene, which can be called the plant version of vitamin A. It’s a precursor to vitamin A and in the body it gets converted to vitamin A. Beta-carotene helps to keep the immune system strong and also important for healthy eye sight. Beta carotene can also protect the skin against UV damage!
- Eggs: Good source of protein of high bioavailability and essential vitamins and minerals. Read more about eggs here.
These quinoa patties are great as a weeknight dinner! They can be eaten both hot and cold, and reheats well!
If you make this recipe, let me know! Comment, rate it and don’t forget to take a picture and #nutritionistmeetschef so I can see your creation!
Quinoa Patties with Feta, Parsley and Garlic, served on a bed of spiralized carrots. Vegetarian and Gluten Free!
- 170 g / 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 eggs
- 30 g / 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 150 g feta cheese
- 1 garlic glove
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 4-5 large carrots
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Handful of parsley
- pumpkin seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
Cook the quinoa according to instructions. Once cooked, leave to cool. (check notes)
Combine eggs and oats and whisk until combined. Leave for 10 minutes so the oats can absorb the eggs
Whilst the egg and oats are resting, make the carrot salad by spiralizing your carrots (or grating). Combine with olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and set aside.
Add the cooked quinoa, feta, garlic and parsley into the egg and oats mixture. Mix until combined. The easiest way to do this is to do it with your hands.
Form into 8 evenly sized patties. Cook on medium heat for 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
Serve the quinoa patties on the spiralized carrot salad. Sprinkle with some pumpkin seeds and a handful of sprouts or spinach!
- To make this recipe quicker, you can prepare the quinoa the night before so it's cooked when you make it.
- Check the feta cheese to make sure it's vegetarian to make this strictly vegetarian.