Baked sweet potato rosti with black bean salsa, avocado and finished with a perfectly poached egg! The perfect veggie meal for any time of the day!
Are you looking for a delicious vegetarian meal that will satisfy your tastebuds? Look no further!
This sweet potato rosti is served with a black bean and tomato salsa, sliced avocado and gently poached egg. This meal is loaded with flavour, textures, nutrients and it’s incredibly light yet super filling! It’s great for brunch, lunch or dinner!
Traditionally a rosti is pan fried (and often quite generously with oil) but this sweet potato rosti recipe is baked in the oven, keeping it light and fresh but still delicious.
Sweet Potato Rosti – Feeding a crowd and meal prep
If you’re planning to feed a crowd, this sweet potato rosti is perfect to make! The sweet potato rostis can be prepared the night before. Make them and cook them off and before serving them, pop them in the oven for 5 minutes to warm them though!
If you want to serve it with the salsa it can also be prepared the night before. But instead of mixing it all together, like you would if you would serve it immediately, keep all the ingredients separate and mix them all together just before serving. This will keep the salsa looking fresh and colourful when serving it! Of course you can make it the night before. It may look a little bit more washed out but it will still taste delicious!
You can even poach the eggs beforehand too! Here is a good guide on how to do it! Which would leave the slicing of the avocado just before serving!
This meal is great for meal prep too! Just follow the same instructions as above. If you’re bringing this for a lunchbox to work you can microwave the rosti and and reheat the egg by popping it into a cup with hot water for about 30 second to 1 minute (assuming you have a kettle at work!) For meal prep you can dice the avocado and add it to the salsa.
Sweet Potato Rosti with Black Bean Salsa, Avocado and Poached Egg – Nutrition Breakdown
As a whole, this sweet potato rosti recipe is incredibly nutrient dense and will provide you with
- Iron: Transports oxygen in the body, which is essential to keep you feeling energised and alert! Also important for immune function and helping you fighting infections! This meal also contain vitamin C which will assist the absorption of iron in this meal!
- Magnesium: Helps to keep your bones and teeth strong! Also important for muscle function and healthy nervous system!
- Zinc: Is a part of hundreds enzymes in the body that participates in the breakdown of the food you eat, tissue repair, immune function and wound healing! Zinc also helps to keep your skin, hair and nails strong!
- Vitamins B12: Important for a healthy nervous system and also needed for the formation of red blood cells and together with iron is important for oxygen transport in the body.
- Beta Carotene: Is converted to vitamin A in the body which is important for healthy eye sight and supports night vision! Also essential for skin maintenance and repair!
- Vitamin E: Works as an antioxidant in the body and helps to protect the membranes in your body. Vitamin E is important for heart health and also for healthy hair and skin!
- Dietary Fibre: This meal is packed with gut loving fibre! Avocado is often hailed for its healthy fat content, but its not often mentioned that it’s also an excellent source of dietary fibre! Dietary fibre helps to keep your blood sugars levels balanced and keep you fuller for longer!
- Lycopene: Tomatoes are rich in the antioxidant lycopene that gives the tomato its red colour. Lycopene can help to protect your skin against sun damage and premature ageing! When you pick tomatoes, always go for the ones the most deep red colour! Not only are they richer in antioxidants, they taste better too!
This meal will provide you with protein, complex carbs and healthy fats that your body needs to stay energised thought out the day and that makes you feel great! Also, it’s gluten free and dairy free!
WATCH HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO ROSTI
Want more sweet potato recipes? Check out these recipes
- Curried Lentil Stuffed Sweet Potato
- Korean Style Sweet Potato Noodles
- Baked Sweet Potato Crisps
- Leek and Sweet Potato Omelette
If you try this recipe, don’t forget to comment and rate it! Don’t forget to take a picture and tag @nutritionistmeetschef!
Sweet Potato Rosti with Black Bean Salsa and Poached Egg! A veggie meal great fo any time of the day! Gluten- and dairy free!
- 300 g / 10.5 oz sweet potato about 1 small
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 egg
- Salt pepper
- 150 g / 1 cup tinned black beans, drained, rinsed and dried
- 1/2 small red onion chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tomatoes, diced (or 8-10 cherry tomatoes)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1/2 tbsp honey (add to taste)*
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 pinch salt
- 0.5-1 avocado
Preheat the oven to 200°c /gas mark 6/ 390°F. Peel and grate the sweet potato. Whisk the egg in a bowl. Add the grated sweet potato, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix until combined.
Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Divide the potato mixture into two equal parts and place on the oven tray. Form the rösti around 10 cm in diameter and 2,5 cm high. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden.
Combine all salsa ingredients in a bowl except honey. Taste and add honey if needed depending on how sweet the tomatoes are. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside
Bring a small pan filled with 2/3 full of water to the boil.
Once boiling, bring down to a simmer. Add the vinegar and create a whirlpool in the water by whisking with a whisk. Crack the eggs in a small cup, one at the time. Gently add the egg to the simmering whirlpool and poach for 3-4 minutes, depending on how large the egg is. Lift up the egg with a slotted spoon after 3 minutes. Prod the egg, the egg white should be firm but were the egg yolk is it should be soft. Once done, remove from the water and place on kitchen roll.
Remove the rostis from the oven and gently remove them from the greaseproof paper.
Assemble the rostis by adding sliced avocado, black bean salsa and top with the poached egg. Finish with chilli flakes, fresh parsley or coriander/cilantro
- Add honey to taste, as tomatoes can vary in sweetness!
- These sweet potato rostis can be prepared the night before if you're meal prepping or cooking for a group of people. Make them and cook them of straight away and cool down. Before serving, pop them in the oven for 5-6 minutes to reheat them!
Originally posted April 2016.