These grilled baby aubergine are tossed with a chili persillade. Perfect as a side dish to grilled meats, or with some white beans for a veggie option, or as a part of a buffet dinner.
One of the best things about summer is that it is the season for BBQ!
And quite often, throwing a BBQ is associated with grilled big chunks of meat or sausages in various forms.
But I think it’s time to let the vegetables to take up more space on the grill this year.
Vegetables are healthy, tasty, versatile and super easy to barbeque! And it make things more interesting, don’t you think?
So in this recipes baby aubergines are grilled and then mixed with a chili persillade. A persillade is a mix of finely chopped parsley, garlic and shallot. But if you don’t have shallot in, a yellow onion will do and that’s what I’ve used when making this.
Chili is added to persillade to make things a little bit more exciting. Because that’s what chili does to a dish in my humble opinion.
And to finish this glorious dish, drizzle a bit of some good olive oil over the veggies. And a sprinkle of salt and pepper of course.
This recipe has baby aubergine, but normal aubergine will do. Just chop the aubergine in four equal sized pieces (or six, depending on how big your aubergine is) and grill them as they’re are.
If you want to make a complete meal with these grilled baby aubergine, serve it with some boiled quinoa and some grilled chicken or beans like cannelloni beans.
This meal is great as a side dish for a BBQ party, buffets or as main dish when served with quinoa. And it can be eaten hot or cold!
Grilled Baby Aubergine with Chili Persillade
Grilled Baby Aubergine
- 400 g aubergine
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt pepper
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 red chili finely chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion or 2 shallots finely chopped
- 1/2 a cup of chopped parsley
- Combine garlic, chili, onion and parsley in a bowl. Mix until combined.
- Wash and pat dry your aubergine and cut in half.
- Drizzle olive oil and add some salt and pepper and massage into the aubergine.
- Grill the aubergine on the BBQ or in a griddle pan until it's become soft. (4-5 mins each side)
- Remove from the pan and let cool slightly.
- Sprinkle persillade over the aubergine and add a little bit more olive oil. Season with salt and pepper if needed.