Ginger Chilli Lime Chicken – Chicken thighs marinated in a delicious lime, ginger, chilli and garlic mixture! Perfect to throw on the barbecue but also perfect to fry in a pan!
Ginger Lime Chilli Chicken – Great all year around
Chicken a perfect meat to cook for any occasion. It’s incredibly versatile and takes on flavours really well! And this ginger lime chilli chicken is one meal that’s perfect to make all year around. It is perfect to throw on the barbecue in the summer but is equally as good to grill in a pan and make a fresh salad or fajitas with any time of the year
How To Cook Ginger Chilli Lime Chicken To Perfection
Start with marinating your chicken thighs in a marinade consisting of chilli, ginger, garlic and a mild tasting oil. It’s important to use a mild tasting oil such as olive oil for cooking or rapeseed oil (not cold pressed!), as these are better suited for higher heats but also have neutral flavours that won’t interfere with the other flavours of the marinade.
Leave the chicken marinade for ideally 4 hours, but if you’re short on time, 1 h will do, just about.
When cooking the chicken, it’s important to cook it on a medium heat. If you cook it on a high heat it will burn the honey and it can make it taste bitter. If you cook it on medium heat the marinade will gently caramelise instead of burning and it will taste great and zesty!
Can you make this ginger chilli lime chicken with chicken breast?
Sure you can! Simply butterfly the chicken by cutting it in half horizontally before marinating it. This will make the marinade penetrate more of the meat, giving it more flavour and the cooking will be quicker! If using chicken breast and prepare it as described, you can follow the instructions below in the recipe card.
Watch how to make ginger chilli lime chicken!
This ginger lime chilli chicken is great with a fresh salad such as this watermelon feta cheese salad!
Looking for more chicken recipes? Check out these recipes
- Chicken Paillard with Mango Salsa – The preparation of chicken makes is incredibly moist, tender and quick to cook!
- Chicken Piperade – Poached and shredded chicken breast is mixed with sautéed peppers and tomato
- Shredded Red Cabbage and Chicken Salad – A quick and easy meal you can whip up in no time using rotisserie chicken
If you make this recipe, please comment and rate it! And don’t forget to take a picture and @nutritionistmeetschef on Instagram!
Ginger Chilli Lime Chicken
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup lime juice
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup olive oil or rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 6 tbsp coriander /cilantro (leaves & stems)
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1000 g /2 lb chicken thighs (skinless and deboned)
- Place all ingredients except for the chicken into a bowl. Whisk until fully combined and emulsified.
- Add the chicken either directly in a bowl, or place the chicken in a plastic bad and pour the marinate over. Massage so all the chicken pieces are fully covered and place in the fridge to marinate for 4 hours.
- Once marinated, cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes or each side, or until the chicken is done! If BBQing, grill on a medium heat.
- Place the chicken on a plate, cover with foil and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander/cilantro before serving.