Easy Almond Cake Recipe – Only three ingredients are required to make the base of this cake! Add your favourite toppings such as cream, yogurt and berries! Gluten- and dairy free!
Almond Cake Recipe – Moist, light, delicious and easy to make.
This heavenly almond cake is moist but yet light at the same time. It has a delicate almond flavour and is perfectly sweet. The texture of this cake can be described as something between a macaron and a sponge cake.
This recipe for almond cake is really easy to make. So easy that the base for this cake calls for three ingredients; egg whites, sugar and almond flour.
Make this cake by simply whipping the eggs until stiff peaks start to form, then gently add the sugar and whip until you have a meringue. Gently fold the almond flour into the mixture until just combined, and bake in the oven for 30 minutes!
What to top this almond cake with?
Below are a few suggestions on what you can top this almond cake with.
- Whipped Cream and Yogurt – This adds a nice tanginess from the yogurt but also cuts the heaviness from the cream. Also, by replacing some of the cream with yogurt you also reduce the fat content slightly. Play around with what ratio you like and start adding yogurt a little at a time. Add a pinch of vanilla to complement the sweetness from the berries and fruits.
- Coconut Cream – To keep this cake dairy free, just coconut cream. If you cant tolerate coconut cream, soy cream works great too.
- Berries and Fruit – Use what’s in season! Berries are great to use in the summer when they’re in season. Use a variety of berries for more flavours. In the winter you can garnish the cake with seasonal fruits such as orange, satsumas and pomegranate! Adding plenty of berries and fruit also adds plenty of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants!
- Flowers and Herbs – If you can find edible flowers, they made a great addition to this cake. Mint works well to, as it works well with most fruits and berries.
- Drizzle of honey: This is optional, but adding a light drizzle of honey or maple syrup over the cake helps to bring out the flavours of the fruit and berries even more. Also, a little goes a long way and a tablespoon should be more than enough
Are you looking for some more sweet things? Check out these recipes
If you try out this almond cake recipe, comment and rate it! And don’t forget to take a picture and @nutritionistmeetschef on Instagram!
Almond Cake Recipe
Almond Cake Recipe
- 100 g egg whites (3 large egg whites)
- 100 g caster sugar (1/2 cups)
- 150 g almond flour (1 1/2 cups)
- 100 g whipped cream
- 3 tbsp greek yogurt
- handful of berries
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean powder (or vanilla essence)
- 1/3 handful strawberries (halved)
- 1/3 handful raspberries
- 1/3 handful blueberries
- 4 - 5 sprigs mint
- drizzle honey
- edible flowers
- Preheat the oven to 175°C
- Whip eggs until stiff peaks form.
- Add the sugar slowly to the whipped eggs and whip until glossy and firm.
- Gently fold in the almond flour and fold until just mixed.
- Grease baking tin with a diameter of 20 cm. Pour and spread the batter with a spatula into the form.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool. when cool place onto a serving tray.
- Whilst the cake base is cooling whip the cream until it becomes firm and can hold its shape then fold in the greek yogurt. Then spread the cream on top of the cake base.
- Top with berries of your choice, garnish with sprigs of mint and finish with a drizzle of honey. And edible flowers if you have them available.
- I have added volume measurements, but I recommend you to use weight measurements if possible!
- To make this completely dairy free, use a dairy free cream such as coconut cream or soy cream.
- You can use only whipped cream as topping if you want. I like to add a little bit of greek yogurt to my whipped cream to add more body.