This warm coconut roasted carrot lentil salad is bursting with flavours! Great on it’s own, or if you want to have a protein boost, add a poached egg to it!
Autumn is finally here, and it’s a great season for food. Root vegetables are in abundance, mushrooms are out in the forrest just waiting to be picked and it’s the season for pumpkin. When I think of autumn food, I think roasted vegetables, hearty soup with crusty bread, long cooked meats and stews that need to cook for hours and hours. Warming, cosy and hearty that fills your body and soul with goodness.
So the other day I made a quite autumnal coconut roasted carrot lentil salad. A warm salad that is nourishing, tasty and hearty. And very simple to make too!
When I make this salad, I use either green lentils or puy lentils.
I think of all pulses, puy lentils are my favourite. Look at them, they are absolutely gorgeous! They look like small pebbles! And not only are they gorgeous looking, they taste lovely too! They have such a earthy, deep flavour, and they really hold well together so they give a nice bite to the meal.
Roasted Carrot Lentil Salad Nutrition Breakdown
- Fibre: Rich in digestive healthy fibre, which are important for your gut health!
- Vitamin A: Loaded with vitamin A which is important for a healthy eyesight and it can help with our night sight!
- B-vitamins: B-vitamins are all important for the metabolism of the food we eat, energy production in the body and for a healthy nervous system
- Iron: Globally, iron deficiency is one of the most common one. Iron is essential for transporting oxygen to the cells and the muscles in the body!
This coconut roasted carrot puy lentil salad serves two. It’s great to have this with a piece of bread on the side for extra energy.
Sometimes I add a poached egg to this dish to give it an extra boost of protein!
This dish is also best eaten straight away when it’s, as the flavours are best when it’s freshly cooked and still warm. Also, once cold, the coconut will solidify!
Coconut Roasted Carrot Lentil Salad
- 100 g 1/2 cup uncooked puy lentils
- 450 g 1 lb carrots
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 0.5 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- Handful of coriander cilantro (save the stalks!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook your lentils according to the instructions on the package.
- Preheat oven to 220°C / 425°F / gas mark 7
- Cut your carrots diagonally into 1 inch pieces.
- Warm up the coconut oil in a pan (if it's not liquid) and pour it over the carrots. Rub in so the carrots are covered with oil. Transfer to a oven proof dish.
- Chop up some coriander stalks. Sprinkle chopped coriander stalks and a pinch of salt over the carrots.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Place carrots in a bowl, and try to scrape out as much oil as possible from the dish, as the oil has loads of flavour!
- Add lentils, vinegar and coriander and blend.
- Season with salt and pepper.