If you wish to include more vegetables in your diet in an effortless way, this chicken with Avocado Basil Sauce, Cherry Tomatoes & Courgetti is a great start!
This meal has the elements of a salad and a cooked meal, with the raw courgetti and avocado basil sauce representing the salad, and the chicken and plump cherry tomatoes adding the cooked meal feel to it.
This dish is packed full of flavour, made with everyday ingredients and is easy to make. The avocado basil sauce can be made ahead and stays fresh for at least 3 days in an airtight container. The courgetti can also be prepared the night before – simply spiralize the courgette and keep it in an airtight container. That leaves cooking the chicken and tomatoes – simply pan fry the chicken to give it colour, oil and season the tomatoes and place in an ovenproof dish and bake in the oven.
If you like things spicy, you can finish the meal with freshly chopped chilli, or boost the nutrient content by serving it with a good handful of spinach or rocket.
Chicken with Avocado Basil Sauce – Nutrition Facts
Healthy fats: Avocados are rich in monounsaturated fats, which are great for heart health, healthy skin, hair and nails and great for hormone balance and for vitamin absorption.
Lycopene: Tomatoes, and specially cooked tomatoes, are bursting with the antioxidant lycopene that can protect your skin against the damage from UV light.
B-vitamins: This family of vitamins all work together and are important for many things in the body, such as for energy production, keeping your nervous system healthy, for brain function etc. B-vitamins are also needed for the production of neurotransmitters that can help to boost your mood, so if you’re under a lot of stress, make sure you eat plenty of b-vitamins!
This meal is gluten free, dairy free and nut free!
If you’re into fresh and light chicken meals during the summer, here are some other meals that are perfect for the season
• Chicken Paillard with Mango Salsa – This chicken dish is easy to make and the chicken cooks quickly and stays moist thanks to the preparation of the chicken.
• Summer Rhubarb Chicken Salad – Raw rhubarb adds a nice tanginess and this rhubarb chicken salad has a great balance between sweet, salty and sour!
• Ginger Lime Chilli Chicken – This recipe is a total crowdpleaser! Perfect for a BBQ!
• Thai Turmeric Chicken Salad – If you love asian flavours, this salad is for you!
If you make this recipe, please comment and rate it! And don’t forget to take a picture and @nutritionistmeetschef on Instagram!
Summer Chicken with Avocado Basil Sauce, Roasted Cherry Tomatoes and Courgetti
Avocado Basil Sauce
- 1 avocado (de-stoned and peeled)
- 1 garlic clove
- handful of basil
- 1/2 lemon (juice + zest)
- 0.5 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Chicken, Tomtato and Courgetti
- 2 chicken breasts
- 200 g tomatoes
- 400 g courgette (about 1 large), spiralized
- AVOCADO SAUCE: Place all ingredients in the blender and blitz until smooth. Taste with salt and pepper. Set aside
- Preheat the oven to 200°C fan / 220°C
- Heat a large frying pan. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and fry in a little oil on both sides until browned. Place the chicken on a ovenproof tray. Drizzle oil over the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper and place on the tray with the chicken. Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked.
- Serve the chicken and tomatoes on a bed of spiralized courgette and drizzle the avocado basil sauce over the dish. Enjoy!