Chicken thyme burgers with sautéed mushrooms and spinach! A hearty and filling meal that comes together in around 30 minutes!
One of the best things with autumn is that it’s season for mushroom picking! I’m quite into foraging, and mushrooms is one of my favourite things to forage for. Every autumn, the chef and I try to go out mushroom picking.
It can sometimes be hard labour, as you sometimes have to walk around for a bit before you find any edible mushrooms. But usually, when you find one, you’ll find loads. And I also believe that you need to train your eye to spot them. I’m been pretty bad at spotting mushrooms, but the chef, he has this ability to spot mushrooms in the corners of this eye. He actually did that once when he caught the sight of a black trumpet mushroom in the corner of this eye! And if you’re a mushroom picker, you know that they are quite elusive and hard to find (and to spot!)
We usually dry the mushrooms we pick, so we have a good stock for the rest of the year. We only pick the mushroom that we know for sure are edible, and usually end up with a basket full of chanterelles, trumpet chanterelles or ceps.
Mushrooms, for me, are quintessential autumn food, with their rich, earthy flavours. Nothing beats freshly picked chanterelles fried in a bit of butter, seasoned with salt and pepper and maybe finished with a bit of fresh parsley, served on a piece of toast. Simple but yet so full of complex flavours.
Unfortunately we haven’t gone mushrooms picking yet, so today I’m sharing a recipe where I use store bought white button mushrooms. Chicken thyme burgers with sautéed mushrooms & spinach. This is a easy meal to make and it takes less than 30 minutes to make, from start to finish.
All you need to do is to prepare the burgers, where you combine chicken mince, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper. Fry the burgers. And whilst the burgers are cooking, prepare the mushrooms. Just fry some shallots and garlic in a small knob of butter until cooked, add the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes until they’re softened and reduced in size. Add a few handfuls of spinach in the end and some salt and pepper. Done. Place the mushrooms on a plate, put the burger on top of the mushrooms and the dish is ready to be eaten. Easy peasy.
Chicken Thyme Burgers with Sautéed Mushrooms
Chicken Thyme Burgers
- 500 g chicken mince
- 2 garlic gloves minced
- 1.5 tbsp thyme
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.25 tsp black pepper
- 1 banana shallot finely chopped
- 1 garlic glove finely chopped
- 400 g white button mushrooms quartered.
- 200 g spinach
- Salt & pepper
Chicken Thyme Burgers
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix with your hands until combined.
- Form the mixture into 4 burgers and fry in a little bit of butter on medium heat for around 10-12 minutes, filliping them every couple of minute, or until the burgers are no longer pink in the middle and the juices run clear.
- Fry the shallot and garlic in a little bit of butter on low medium heat until fragrant and translucent. Add the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes until the mushrooms have reduced in size and softened. Add the spinach and cook for a couple of more minutes until the spinach have been cooked.
- Place the mushrooms on a plate and place the chicken burgers on top.