Lentil and Cabbage Stir-Fry
A quick, easy, wallet friendly and delicious lentil and cabbage stir-fry. Perfect for meal prep!. Tahini sauce is optional (but highly recommended) and a recipe for it is included. Vegan + Gluten Free. Makes 4 generous portions.
- 200 grams / 1 cup green lentils, uncooked
- 400 grams / 5 cups shredded white cabbage (about 1/4 of a small head of white cabbage)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup tahini
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup water (more or less)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- splash of apple cider vinegar / lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp maple syrup /agave /honey (if not vegan)
- pomegranate arils / raisins
- flat leaf parsley
- fresh lemon juice (optional)
Cook the lentils according to packet instructions
Whilst the lentils are cooking, heat a pan with the oil on medium heat. Add the spices and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the onion, cook for 2 minutes and then add the cabbage and garlic and cook for around 5-6 minutes, or until the cabbage has softened.
Make the tahini sauce by combining the tahini, sweetener, vinegar, garlic and salt. Add the water and whisk until combined. Add more water if you want a more loose consistency.
Once the lentils are cooked, drain and add to the cabbage and fry for a minute. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve the lentil and cabbage stir fry with basmati rice, tahini sauce, pomegranate / raisins and chopped fresh leaf parsley and a little bit of fresh lemon juice.
- If you don't like tahini sauce you can make a garlic and yogurt sauce. Simply mix around 200 ml / 3/4 cup of yogurt with 1 minced garlic clove, a squeeze of lemon and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cooking time will be shorter if the lentils are already cooked.
- If you can't get hold of pomegranate you can add raisins.
- Calories are an estimate of 1 serving (of a total of 4) with tahini sauce but without toppings and rice.