Bubble and Squeak
Bubble and Squeak is the perfect meal to use up leftovers from a roast dinner! Serve it with wilted greens, poached egg, ham, baked beans or your favourite toppings!
Servings: 2 -3
- 400 grams boiled potatoes (or mashed potatoes)
- 160 grams raw shredded white cabbage (boiled and drained it will weight around 170 g) or leftover veg weighting around 170 grams
- 1 tbsp melted butter / olive oil (omit if using mashed potatoes)
- pinch of salt and pepper
Bring a pan with salted water to the boil. Add the cabbage and boil for around 4-5 minutes, or until softened. Drain and set aside to cool.
Combine the cooked cabbage with boiled potatoes / mashed potato and melted butter, salt and pepper. Mix until combined. Form into 4-6 evenly sized cakes.
To fry: Heat a large frying pan on medium high heat and add teaspoon of oil. Add the potato cakes and fry for a few minutes on each side, or until browned.
Enjoy them straight away or pop them in the oven for 15 minutes to firm up!
To bake: Preheat the oven to 225°C / 200°C fan / 440°F. Place onto a lined baking tray. Brush a little bit of oil on the bubble and squeaks to help them colour up and preventing them from sticking, or bake them without oil. Bake for 20 minutes, flip over (if not brushed with oil, carefully flip them over with a spatula as they may stick if not using a silicon mat) and bake for another 10-20 minutes.
Serve with baked beens, wilted greens, ham and poached egg or your favourite toppings!
- Prep time does not include cooking time for the potatoes.
- If making in the oven, add 40 minutes to cook time.
- If baking in the oven, keep an eye on them so they don't burn as different oven can behave differently
- Calories are an estimation and based on this recipe being for 2 persons. If split in 3 it will be 160 kcal per portion.