Turmeric Protein Porridge with Pomegranate and coconut milk! This nutrient packed breakfast is a great way to start your day!
During autumn and winter, I almost always have porridge for breakfast! I love how comforting and warming porridge is. But I find that porridge can make me hungry quite quickly if I don’t have any form of protein with it, so I usually have an egg with my porridge and that always keeps me fuller for longer. Sometimes I’ll have a boiled egg on the side, and sometimes I have the egg in the porridge.
Yes you read it right. In the porridge!
It was a friend of mine who told me about adding an egg to porridge. I have to admit that I was quite dubious about it at first, but I tried it and I was hooked! And these days I almost always add an egg to my porridge.
To make this egg enriched porridge, you cook your porridge as normal, and when it’s just about done, remove the pan from the stove, add the egg and whisk it in vigorously so the egg doesn’t scramble. Once it’s well incorporated, cook the porridge on the stove for a 1 minute or so on a low heat. The porridge will not taste of egg and the texture is creamier than normal porridge!
When I make porridge I usually have banana or apples in it. But I like to change things up and sometimes I had turmeric to it! I know, sounds crazy, but together with pomegranate and coconut milk it works really well!
Turmeric Protein Porridge
- 1/2 cup / 40 g porridge oats
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- coconut milk
- Cook the porridge according to the instructions on the package.
- When the porridge is just about done, remove pan from the stove.
- Crack an egg into the porridge and whisk vigorously until incorporated. Add turmeric and whisk.
- Place the pan on the stove again and cook for a minute or two on medium heat so the egg gets cooked.
- Serve the porridge with a handful of pomegranate, a dash of coconut milk and some nuts and seeds of your choice.