This Basil Tomato Egg salad is fresh and so delicious and the perfect partner to a piece of toasted sourdough! Perfect for a brunch!
Each year I try to make the Chef a special breakfast for his birthday, and I like to do something I’ve never done before. This year though, we’d just come back from a holiday and I hadn’t had time to plan what to make, so I had to use my imagination and use what I could find in the fridge, which was a few veggies, eggs and herbs we grow on the balcony. So I whipped up this amazing tomato egg salad which I served on bruschetta for his birthday brunch!
This tomato egg salad has a kick of chilli (the chef loves his chilli!) and garlic, and a handful of fresh basil. The eggs are best when they’re semi-soft boiled, with a firm egg white and a slightly runny egg yolk, so the egg yolk together with olive oil work as a dressing and bind all flavours together!
This tomato egg salad is perfect to enjoy for breakfast/brunch! Eggs are real nutritional powerhouses that will keep you going for the rest of the day. If you want to learn more about eggs, check out this post about eggs.
Together with the tomatoes, which adds a good dose of antioxidants and nutrients, the garlic with its antiinflammatory properties and the olive oil which has heart healthy mono-unsaturated fats, this tomato egg salad will give you what you need to keep you going for the rest of the day!
Tomato Egg Salad
- 3 eggs
- 1 tomato
- handful of basil
- 1 garlic clove
- dried chilli flakes
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (about 0.5 tbsp)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- optional: sunflower sprouts
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Once boiling, turn down the heat so the water is gently simmering. Carefully place the eggs in the water with the help of a spoon. (I usually cook my eggs for 6 minutes and I usually buy medium eggs)
- Whilst the eggs are cooking, dice your tomatoes, finely chop the garlic and roughly chop the basil. Place all in a bowl and set a side.
- Once the eggs are done, rinse under cold water for a few minutes so they've cooled down enough to be handled.
- Peel the eggs and dice them. Mix with the other ingredients. Add a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Serve on toast!
- Gluten free: Use GF bread.