If you’re looking for a new way to cook fish, look no further! This tandoori cod is a simple flavourful meal that’s really easy to make.
It’s served with a zesty and fresh carrot cucumber salad with is dressed with a lemon ginger dressing and a moreish garlic yogurt.
TANDOORI COD – Tips and Tricks
Placing the cod in brine before cooking it is a great way to firm up the cod so it holds together better when you cook it, and it also adds flavour to the cod. This step is optional and you don’t need to do it, but I recommend it!
After the cod’s been resting in brine it’s time to add the tandoori spices. As cod is a lean fish, melted butter is mixed with the tandoori spice. This prevents the spices from drying out the fish and makes the fish more moist. I always use butter as I think it works best together with tandoori.
You can use a brush to spread the butter spice mixture, but to be frank it’s easier to use your hands and rub it all over the fish.
After the cod’s been rubbed with the butter spice mix it’s time to bake it in the oven. I cook the fish until it has an inner core temperature of 56°C. This way it stays juicy and just flakes. It’s always best to use a thermometer to ensure the temperature! If you don’t have a thermometer, bake it until it’s cooked through and flakes!
This tandoori cod is great to serve with rice, and preferably basmati rice! Quinoa works great too!
If you make this recipe, comment and rate it! And don’t forget to take a photo and @nutritonistmeetschef on instagram, I love to see your pictures!
Tandoori Cod with Carrot Cucumber Salad
- 4 pieces of cod fillets ( 150 g x 4 )
- 2 tbsp tandoori spice
- 2 tbsp melted butter
Carrot Cucumber Salad
- 2 large carrot
- 1 cucumber
- 1 red onion / 2 shallots
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1.5-2 tsp grated ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
- parlsey / coriander(cilantro)
- 240 ml / 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt to taste
- Brining your cod: This step is optional, but recommended. Make a brine by combining 500 ml / 2 cups water with 1.5 tbsp salt. Place the cod in the brine and leave in room temperature for 15 min to 1 h. Remove the cod from the brine and pat dry.
- Whilst the fish is in the brine, make the carrot cucumber salad. Finely slice the carrots and cucumber on a mandolin or a speed peeler. Finely slice the onion. Place the sliced carrot and cucumber in a cold water bath and set a side. Place the onion in a bowl and set aside. Make the dressing by combining olive oil, lemon juice, ginger salt and pepper and set a side.
- Make the garlic yogurt by mixing yogurt with grated garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Mix the melted butter with the tandoori spice and rub it all over the cod. Place the cod on a lined baking tray and place in the oven. Bake for around 10-12 minutes or until it has an inner temperature of 56°C.
- Drain the vegetables and mix them with the onion, dressing and a small handful or parsley/coriander. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the cod with the carrot cucumber salad, garlic yogurt and rice!
- By placing the veg in cold water they will crisp up and add a nice texture to the salad.
- Cooking time of the cod can vary depending on how thick the pieces are.