These Spicy Quinoa Stuffed Red Cabbage Rolls are a great meat free alternative on the Christmas table. The quinoa is seasoned with baharat seasoning and mixed with raisin, sunflower seeds and parsley, making it the perfect combination of sweet and spicy.
A big trend right now is to eat more vegetarian food. Restaurants serve more vegetarian options, and serve more than just stuffed peppers. Even Christmas food is slowly becoming more green! And even though I’m not a vegetarian, I do eat a lot of plant based food and I think we all should try eat more plant based food! Its good for you and good for the environment.
So today I’m sharing these Spicy Quinoa Stuffed Red Cabbage Rolls. I’ve actually been wanting to make these for the page for a long time, but haven’t come around to do it. Until now.
These rolls in this recipe are seasoned with baharat seasoning. Baharat mix is a spice mix used in Middle Eastern cuisine. The chef made a baharat mixture a while ago, and in his mix, he combined all spice, black pepper, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, cardamom, nutmeg and chili flakes! It’s a super tasty recipe and is very versatile. I’ve already used it for different cabbage stir fries, rice dishes, meats, eggs and of course, in these spicy quinoa stuffed red cabbage rolls!
I’m not gonna sugar coat things, these rolls do require both time and labour. But they’re not hard to make, as there’s hardly any chopping involved at all. In this recipe, I used red cabbage as red cabbage feels right for the holidays. But you can use normal white cabbage or savoy cabbage if you wish. Red cabbage is thicker and slightly tougher than the other cabbages, which can be good to know if you’re contemplating which cabbage to use. But personally I think the red cabbage works great in this recipe, as the texture of the cabbage works well with the quinoa mixture and you cannot go wrong with the beautiful colour! 🙂
To finish this post, I want to mention that this spicy quinoa mixture can also be enjoyed as a vegan stuffing alternative. Just prepare the mixture and pop it on the oven for a few minutes and it’s ready to eat!
Spicy Quinoa Stuffed Red Cabbage Rolls
- 1 head of red cabbage
- 110 g / 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 45 g / 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 45 g / 1/3 cup raisins
- Good handful of about 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tsp baharat spice mix
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp water
- Bring a large pan filled with water to boil.
- De core the whole red cabbage and carefully place the whole cabbage into the boiling water.
- Leave it to cook for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove from the boiling water and place it in cold water. The leaves should come of easily from the cabbage by this point. Place these leaves in boiling water and boil again for 10 minutes.*
- Then remove from boiling water and cool down in cold water.
- Once cold, shave down the stalk with a peeler of a sharp knife. This will make rolling the cabbages easier.
- Preheat oven to 225°
- Make the quinoa stuffing by combining quinoa, sunflower seeds, raisins, spices, parsley in a blender and blend until coarsely done. Season with salt to taste.
- Divide the mixture into 6 even portions. Place 1/6th into a leaf and roll into a wrap i.e fold the sides towards the centre and roll from the bottom to the top of the leaf. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Place the rolls in an oven dish.
- Combine maple syrup and water. Brush the rolls with the maple syrup and water mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the leaves are soft.
*This recipe will not use the whole red cabbage. Any left overs can be used to make braised red cabbage or in a stir fry.
These Spicy Quinoa Stuffed Red Cabbage Rolls are
- Gluten free
- Good source of zinc, copper and manganese.
- Rich in vitamin B1, vitamin B6 and vitamin A, C and K.
- Good source of fibre