I’m really excited to be bringing you this recipe today, the sea buckthorn smoothie bowl!
Inspired by the famous acai bowl, this smoothie bowl has sea buckthorn instead of acai berry together with bananas and frozen mangos. The result? A gorgeous frozen smoothie similar to a sorbet, but much better in my humble opinion.
Sea buckthorn or siberian pineapple, sea berry, sandthorn or swallowthorn as it is also called is a real nutrition powerhouse!
Except for having high levels of vitamin C, it is also rich in potassium, calcium, magnesium and iron as well as being a good source of carotenoids. Carotenoids are powerful antioxidants which can prevent cardiovascular disease, cancer and may improve eye health.
Vitamin C has many important functions in your body such as or collagen and connective tissue maintenance, to keep our immune system strong and it also help iron intake from non-heme sources.
Some fun facts about sea buckthorn
- Have traditionally been used to treat colds
- Russian cosmonauts used sea buckthorn cream to protect against cosmic radiation
- Oil extracted from the berries have been used to treat sunburn and eczema.
With bananas, mango and sea buckthorn, this smoothie will give you plenty of goodness and nutrition as well as being absolutely tasty! Have this for dessert tonight, or kick-start your day with this sea buckthorn smoothie bowl!
Sea Buckthorn Smoothie Bowl
- 2 bananas
- 100 g frozen mango around 1 cup
- 30 g / 1/4 cup frozen sea buckthorn
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup water (more if needed)
- Place all ingredients in the blender. Blend.
- Add more water if needed.
- Serve with fresh berries, coconut shavings, muesli, nuts and seeds.