A vegetable packed red lentil soup, finished with crumbled feta cheese and air dried chilli flakes.
A few days ago, I craved soup for dinner. Soup with a piece of bread. So I made this red lentil soup with red peppers and carrots. This soup is seasoned with caraway seeds and coriander, which together with the red pepper gives this soup subtle taste of harissa paste. I finished the soup with feta cheese as it accompanies the flavours of the soup really well.
Red lentils are great to use in cooking, as they need no preparation, cook in no time and they are filled with protein and fibre! Adding them to soup provides creaminess as well, which eliminates the need to add cream to thicken it.
This soup is filled with nutrients and will per portion provide you with
-Vitamin A (DV 417%),
-Folate (DV 32%)
-Vitamin B1 (DV 28%)
-Vitamin B5 (DV 31%)
-Iron (DV 22%)
-Zinc (DV 25%)
Among many other nutrients as well! Serve it with a piece of bread and enjoy.
Red Lentil Soup with Feta Cheese
- 1 tbsp oil coconut, olive or butter will do
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red pepper deseeded and chopped
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic gloves chopped
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/2 coriander seeds
- 140 g / 2/3 cup dry red lentils
- 1 litre vegetable broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
- feta cheese chill flakes, mint, parsley
- Fry the onion, red pepper and carrots in oil in a large soup pan on low-medium heat for around 10 min, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic, spices and lentils and fry for a minute or two.
- Add the broth and let simmer for 15-20 min (or until the lentils are carrots are cooked). Add more water if needed.
- Blend up until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with crumbled feta cheese, chill flakes and herbs like mint or parsley if you wish.