These Puffed Amaranth Energy Bars are the perfect bite whenever you need an energy boost!
Have you heard about amaranth? It’s an ancient grain (or more a pseudo grain) related to quinoa and originates from South America. Packed with nutrients such as iron, magnesium and zinc, it also have a protein content of almost 15%!
Besides making porridge with it or mixing it with other grains, it can be puffed! This puffed amaranth can be added to granola, eaten as it is or added to home made energy bars! And the best part is that it’s super easy to puff amaranth!
All you need to puff the amaranth is a hot pan and amaranth. So heat up the pan, and when the pan is hot, add one tablespoon of amaranth to the pan, remove the pan from the stove and let the amaranth puff up. So NO oil is needed, just a warm pan.
Make sure though that you don’t add more than one tablespoon at a time. If you add too much the amaranth won’t puff up properly. So do it in batched until you have as much as you want or need.
As you can see, they do puff up quickly !
These puffed amaranth energy bars are made with almond butter, oats, chopped dried apricots, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds and honey. And some cinnamon and vanilla to add some extra flavour and sweetness. They are the perfect snack when you need a boost of energy, or when you crave that afternoon snack as a pick me up!
Puffed amaranth energy bars
- 50 g / 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 30 g / 1/2 cup puffed amaranth
- 135 g / 1/2 cup almond butter
- 35 g / 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 50 g / 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 40 g / 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 30 g / 1/3 cups oats (use GF if needed)
- 3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 125°C / 260°F.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Line a tin (20 cm x 20 cm) with greaseproof paper.
- Press down the mixture into the form.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 35-40 min.
- Leave to cool, and cut into squares (around 9 squares)
- Store in the refrigerator.