Peach Halloumi Salad – A fresh salad perfect for hot summer days!
Now as summer is here it’s also the time of year to have barbeques!
There are so many great foods you can barbeque… corn on the cob, fresh fish, chicken, veggies… the list is endless! When having a barbeque, you need to have a good side dish (or two).
And this peach halloumi salad is a perfect salad to have with a barbeque dinner! It’s fresh, light, delicious and easy to make! And it can be a part of the BBQ! Simply prepare all the ingredients except for the halloumi. Throw the halloumi on the grill just before serving. Grill the halloumi until soft and gooey, and then add it to the salad!
Of course, you can simply fry the halloumi in the pan and enjoy this salad without having a BBQ! 🙂
What I really love about this salad is the combination of sweet and salty. The sweetness from the peaches, watermelon and honey vinaigrette goes together perfectly with the salty halloumi!
And the mint!
The mint is really what really brings the whole salad together, and if you make this, don’t skip it. One time when I made this salad I forgot to add the mint and I kept thinking that something was really missing… and then I realised that I forgot to add mint! So I added a handful to the salad and it made it perfect!
Also, the dressing is essential for the salad. It’s simply champagne vinegar, oil honey, salt and poppy seeds. If you don’t have champagne vinegar, you can use white wine vinegar, but I really recommend champagne vinegar! It’s had a rounder milder flavour that adds a delicate acidity to salads!
This peach halloumi salad is perfect for a barbeque as well as a light lunch indoors! I served this salad with this ginger chilli lime chicken the other week and it was delish!
If you want to keep it veggie, make sure the halloumi is made with vegetarian rennet. Serve the salad with a slice of bread, or maybe some quinoa to make it more hearty!
Peach Halloumi Salad
- 200 g halloumi, sliced
- 60 g /about 8 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 peach, sliced and stone removed.
- 80 g / 1/2 cup cubed watermelon
- handfuls of rocket (arugula)
- 10 mint leaves
Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 0.5 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Arrange the salad by placing rocket (arugula), mint, tomato, watermelon and peaches in a bowl. Gently mix.
- Combine all ingredients to the vinaigrette in a jar with a lid. Close the lid and give it a good shake. Get a side.
- Cook the halloumi. If barbequeing, brush oil on both sides of the halloumi sliced. If frying in a pan, add a little bit of oil to the pan before frying.
- Add the halloumi to the salad and gently combine with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the vinaigrette over. Carefully season with salt and pepper (as the halloumi is pretty salty.)
- Enjoy straight away!