Saffron Turmeric Golden Milk – The addition of saffron lifts this drink to a whole new level!
Saffron Turmeric Golden Milk – The improved drink
If you’re into health and wellness, you can’t have missed golden milk. In case you haven’t heard about it, it’s a warm drink made with milk, turmeric and other spices, such as ginger and cinnamon. It’s hyped at the moment as it has turmeric in it which is believed to have powerful effects on our health.
Something to remember though, is that in these studies, it’s the effect of curcumin which is the active component in turmeric, that’s been studied. And the doses used in the studies are massive, and would be hard to get through your diet alone as turmeric only has about 3% curcumin. So what you can do is add turmeric to your diet when you make curries, soups or why not make yourself a nice cuppa golden milk to get a little bit of goodness in you.
Every little helps!
There are many recipes for golden milk out on the big world wide web, but this version has saffron in it!
Saffron has been used traditionally to beat the blues and there has been some studies showing that saffron may have some pretty impressive properties.
Below are a few studies done on saffron.
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS): This study shows that saffron might be effective in relieving symptoms of PMS.
- Antioxidant: Saffron possesses antioxidant effect similar to carotenoids as well as being a free radical scavenger.
- Anti-depressant: Saffron might have some anti-depressive properties and may improve symptoms of depression.
The saffron adds a beautiful floral taste and it makes this turmeric golden milk more invigorating.
And was it good? You bet. The taste is richer and the colour is more vibrant and it’s an incredibly invigorating drink.
Saffron is a very expensive spice, but luckily, a little goes a long way in this drink!
Can’t promise any miracles if you drink this drink, and despite many promising studies on both turmeric and saffron, it’s not a golden (no pun intended) ticket to health. But the beautiful colour and the taste of this drink will for sure make you feel better and lift your mood!
If you make this recipe, comment and rate it! And don’t forget to take a picture and @nutritionistmeetschef on Instagram!
Saffron Turmeric Golden Milk
- 240 ml 1 cup milk of your choice (I like to use oat milk)
- 0.25 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 0.25 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cardamon pods
- Small pinch of black pepper
- A few strands of saffron about 2-3 strands
- Honey optional
- Add a third of your milk into a sauce pan. Heat up until it gets hot, but not to the boil.
- Add all the spices, stir until incorporated.
- Pour the rest of the milk into the pan, and cook on a medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- If you wish to have your drink sweetened, add a teaspoon or two into your drink.