Lentil salad with the most deliciously fresh mango dressing! A great salad for buffets, picnics in the park or as a packed lunch!
I sometimes forget how truly delicious lentils are, but every time I eat them I’m reminded of just how great they taste!
But if you’re not convinced that lentils are all that, this green lentil salad will definitely convince you that lentils are indeed tasty!
This lentil salad is fresh, flavoursome, packed with nutrients and light! In this salad, lentils are mixed with sweet cherry tomatoes, crunchy carrots, fresh cucumber, onions and finally dressed with the most glorious mango dressing and topped with coriander (cilantro) and toasted cashew nuts that just adds that lovely crunch to the salad!
Lentils are one of my favourite food items to keep in the cupboard. These small little nutritional powerhouses are good for your wallet, good for the environment, good for you, versatile in cooking and they’re utterly delicious!
Lentils are rich in vitamin Bs, iron, zinc and copper!t They’re also a good source of plant based protein and dietary fibre! They also contain slowly digestible carbohydrates. This means that it will take a longer time to break down the carbohydrates to glucose and the release of glucose into the blood steam will be slower and that will keep your blood sugar levels more balanced, which is good for your energy levels as well as your mood!
This lentil salad is great to eat as a weeknight dinner, or you can make a big batch of it and serve on a buffet! It keeps really well too, so any leftovers can be enjoyed as a packed lunch the following day!
WATCH HOW TO MAKE LENTIL SALAD WITH MANGO DRESSING
If you want some more inspiration on how eat more lentils, check out these other lentil recipes like these curried lentil stuffed sweet potato, moroccan puy lentil and quinoa salad or this red lentil soup with feta cheese
Lentil Salad with Mango Dressing
- 200 g / 1 cup green lentils, uncooked
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cucumber, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely sliced into strips*
- 3 spring onions (scallions) finely chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp coriander (cilantro) finely chopped (use both leaves and stalks!)
- 1 garlic clove, mined
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp mild olive oil or rapeseed oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Coriander (cilantro)
- Toasted Cashewnuts
- Start with cooking the lentils according to the instructions on the packet.
- Whilst the lentils are cooking, prepare all your vegetables.
- Make the mango dressing by placing all the ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Taste with salt and pepper.
- Once the lentils are cooked, place them in a heatproof bowl and leave to slightly cool down. They can be warm, but not piping hot. Or run them under a cold tap if you would like to serve it as a cold salad.
- Once the lentils are slightly cooled or cold, mix the lentils with the chopped red chilli, minced garlic, cucumber, carrots and spring onions. Add lime juice and vinegar. Mix and add a little bit of salt and pepper to taste!
- Serve the salad with a drizzle of the mango dressing, a few good handfuls of fresh coriander (cilantro) and a good handful of toasted cashew nuts! To toast the cashews place them in a dry hot pan and stir them around until a golden colour arrives upon them.
- Slice the carrots with either a potato peeler or a mandolin. Try to slice the carrots as thinly as possible.