Make your own Gingerbread Latte at home!
During the holidays most coffee shops offer Christmas themed coffee drinks such as gingerbread latte. And whilst they may taste good, they can make a big dent in your wallet and sometimes they’re quite ladened with sugar.
Luckily, making your own gingerbread latte at home is really simple! And it costs a fraction of what you would pay at the coffee shop and it has less sugar in it!
Traditionally a latte is made with espresso, but this recipe provides instructions for how to make it with either with brewed coffee or with espresso! Don’t own a milk frother? No problems! Here you will find different ways on how you can easily make frothy milk at home with every day kitchen tools.
How to make homemade gingerbread latte
- Start will making either espresso or a cup dark roast coffee.
- Mix the coffee with gingerbread spice, vanilla essence and a drizzle of maple syrup. Stir until combined.
- Warm up your milk until hot (but not boiling!) and whisk it with a milk frother. If you don’t own a milk frother, you can use either a stick blender, a hand mixer or a hand whisk to make frothy milk.
- Add a sprinkle of cinnamon or gingerbread spice on top.
- To make the gingerbread latte looking extra festive, add a couple of star anise on top of the milk and if you have any used vanilla pods kicking about (pods with the inside scraped out) that are dry, you can add them to the drink as they’re great to stir with and also release a little bit of vanilla flavour to the drink.
This gingerbread latte can easily be made vegan by using a plant based milk of your choice. Oat milk is a very good choice for making coffee drinks as it froths really well. It’s also naturally sweet so the amount of added sweetener may have to be adjusted.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE GINGERBREAD LATTE
The spices found in gingerbread spice do have some interesting health benefits! For example, did you know that ginger has been used for soothing an upset stomach? And cinnamon can help to balance blood sugar levels? Read more about that and all the other health benefits of the gingerbread spices here
If you’re into coffee, check out these other recipes with coffee
If you’re looking for another festive drinks for the holidays, check out this mulled wine tea!
If you make this recipe, comment and rate it! And take a picture and tag @nutritionistmeetschef on Instagram!
Cosy up with a cup of homemade Gingerbread Latte! This aromatic and warming drink is easy to make and perfect for the holidays!
- 110 ml / 1/2 cup brewed dark roast coffee (or if using espresso, use 2 shots or around 60 ml)
- 2 tsp maple syrup (or sweetener of your choice)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp gingerbread spice mix
- 110 ml / 1/2 cup milk of your choice (if using espresso, use 200ml / 0.8 cups milk)
Mix the coffee with sweetener, spices and vanilla essence and stir
Froth the milk (check notes for ways to froth without frother) and pour it over the coffee.
Garnish with cinnamon and star anise.
- If using espresso, go for a double shot (60 ml) and 200 ml /0.8 cups milk!
- This drink has been tested, tried and approved with the following sweeteners; maple syrup, honey and golden syrup
- To make it vegan, use plant based milk of your choice.
- To make frothy milk without a frother /steamer warm up your milk until hot (but not boiling!). Then you can either use a stick blender (pour the milk into a container with tall sided container to prevent it from splashing everywhere), a hand mixer or a hand whisk!
- If you don't have gingerbread spice mix you can make your own by combining: 1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp cinnamon, 0.5 tsp cloves and a dash of nutmeg. And if you're feeling extra adventurous, a dash of cardamom is really nice to add to the mix!