This lusciously folate rich green smoothie is incredibly creamy. Being extremely nutrients dense, swap you coffee for this smoothie next time you need an afternoon pick-me-up!
Green Smoothie – Great for boosting your vegetable intake!
Green smoothies is one of the best ways to up your veg and fruit intake in the most effortless way! Green smoothies are packed with vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidants you need to feel your best!
Depending on what fruit and veg you add to your green smoothie, you can boost and alter its nutritional profile in varying degrees!
This green smoothie is packed with folate thanks to the addition of green peas and avocado, both which are excellent sources of folate!
Folate rich green smoothie – Nutrition Breakdown
As with most green smoothies, this green smoothie is mega rich in essential nutrients that will keep your cells healthy, give your skin a nice healthy glow and keep your hair in good condition.
- Folate – The hero nutrient in this smoothie. Folate is a part of B-vitamin family. Important for production of new cells in the body such as red blood cells. Red blood cells are essential for oxygen transportation in the body. It’s also important for pregnant women, or women who plan to become pregnant, to consume plenty of folate. Women who plan to get pregnant are recommended to supplement with folic acid to ensure adequate intake to prevent birth defects of the baby’s spinal cord and brain!
- Dietary fibre – This smoothie packs more than 14 g of fibre, which is around half of fibre most of us need per day! Dietary fibre is important to keep your gut happy, supporting the digestive system and for balancing blood sugars.
- Healthy fats – Avocado is an excellent source of monounsaturated fats, which is important for a healthy heart! The fats found in avocado can also help to keep your skin supple and healthy and also aids in the absorption of fat soluble vitamins such as vitamin A!
- B-vitamins – Other than folate, this smoothie is rich in all B-vitamins (except B-12) which all work together to break down the food you eat into energy the body can use! B-vitamins are also important for a healthy nervous system.
As an added bonus, this smoothie is also rich in iron and vitamin C which aids the absorption of iron found in this meal.
Looking for other smoothie or juice recipes? Check out these below
- Beetroot Juice – Learn more about the impressive health benefits of beetroot juice (and the fascinating link between beetroots and the bacteria in your mouth!) + a delicious beetroot juice recipe
- Mango Avocado Smoothie Bowl – Smoothies are great to serve in a bowl too with some granola A great way to start the day!
- Orange Mango Turmeric Smoothie – A more sweet smoothie, great for breakfast together with an avocado toast or as an afternoon pick me up.
- Revitalising Green Smoothie – Another nutrient packed smoothie! Perfect to drink to lift you up and energise you!
- Sea Buckthorn Smoothie – If you can get hold of sea buckthorn, or if you happen to have some at home, this smoothie is a delicious way to enjoy these extremely vitamin C rich berries!
If you make this recipe, please comment and rate it! And don’t forget to take a picture and @nutritionistmeetschef on Instagram!
Folate Rich Green Smoothie
- 40 grams 2 handfuls spinach
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 avocado diced
- 1/2 banana sliced
- 1 small apple diced
- Lemon juice
- Chuck all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add more water if needed.