Feta Quinoa Salad with Basil Lemon Vinaigrette – A salad loaded with goodness!
I hope you’re all enjoying summer so far (well all you that live in the northern hemisphere!) with plenty of good weather and fun times!
I’ve enjoyed the summer to the fullest; been swimming in the ocean and the lakes, having BBQ, picnics, saunas and spending time with friends and family! That’s what summer’s all about!
And during summer, when I’m busy swimming our chilling out in the park, I like my meals to be quick and easy to throw together, and salads are truly one of those meals that you can whip up in no time! Just throw together whatever veg you have in the fridge, add a grain or lentil to make it more substantial and maybe some cheese, nuts or chicken for a protein boost! Top it of with a vinaigrette to bring all the flavours together and you’re golden!
What really makes this feta quinoa salad soo yummy is the use of fresh produce. Plump cherry tomatoes (tomatoes are unquestionably at their best in the summer), refreshing crisp cucumber, creamy avocado and sweet watermelon! The watermelon is kinda essential in this salad to me as it pairs beautifully with the salty feta cheese. However, instead of adding it straight to the salad, I serve it on the side cut into slices, like you would with pita bread! I think it makes it a little bit more interesting 🙂
All this lovely veg and fruit are served with quinoa on a bed of rocket/arugula and finished with crumbled feta and finished with the basil and lemon dressing. Delish!
And before I get to the recipe, let’s throw a little bit of a nutritional breakdown in for this feta quinoa salad
- Avocado: Adds a good dose of healthy monounsaturated fats that’s good for heart health and for keeping the skin supple! Also, avocados are rich in fibre!
- Quinoa: Good source of both carbohydrates and protein! Quinoa is one of few plant based food that contain all essential amino acids! Quinoa is also a good source of fibre, and together with the avocado, this salad is really rich in fibre! And fibre is important to help balancing blood sugar levels and to feed the bacterias in your gut!
- Vitamins and minerals: This salad is a real nutrient power salad! Rich in vitamin A, C, B-vitamins, K, D and E along with being rich in copper, iron, zinc, magnesium and calcium!
- Phytonutrient power: This salad is loaded with phytonutrients, from the fruit and veg that all help to keep your body working properly, such as carotenoids, lycopene and lutein!
If you make this salad, comment and let me know what you thought! And don’t forget to take a photo and hashtag it #nutritionistmeetschef
Feta Quinoa Salad with Basil Lemon Vinaigrette
- 100 g / 1/2 cup quinoa
- 200 g cherry tomatoes (about 14-16 cherry tomatoes)
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cucumber
- 180 g rocket (arugula) (about 2 good handfuls per bowl)
- 50 g / 1.8 oz feta cheese
Basil and Lemon Vinaigrette
- 3 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice
- Handful of basil leaves (about 1/4 cup)
- Salt and Pepper
- Cook the quinoa according to the instructions on the package.
- Whilst the quinoa is cooking, prepare the basil and lemon vinaigrette. Start with chopping the basil. In a bowl, combine oil, vinegar and lemon juice. Whisk until emulsified. Add the basil and a pinch of salt and pepper and whisk again. Set a side.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into half, dice the cucumber and slice the avocado.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, make the salad by diving the rocket into two bowls. Arrange the veg over each bowl and add the quinoa. Sprinkle over the feta cheese over the bowls. Give the vinaigrette a whisk (if the vinegar and oil has split) and pour equal amounts over the bowls. Season with salt and pepper to taste!