Courgetti aglio e olio – crunchy courgetti (zoodles) tossed with olive oil, garlic, chili and finished with fresh parsley and grated pecorino. And for that extra finishing touch, add a handful of pine nuts! Perfect if you want a comforting pasta but without all the carbs!
Spaghetti aglio e olio is one of my favourite pasta dishes and I will admit that the chef and I probably eat it more often than we should!
It’s because not only is it absolutely delicious, it’s also extremely easy and quick to make.
Here is an example of how it usually goes down when we make this
Me: I’m starving
The Chef: Me too!
Me: What shall we eat? I can’t be bothered to make a mess in the kitchen…
The Chef: Should I make an aglio e olio?
So to be totally frank, most times we make it is because it’s quick, easy and doesn’t leave the kitchen in a state… But it doesn’t make it less exciting every time we make it, as it is extremely tasty.
We usually make it with normal spaghetti, but now as I got a spiraliser, we’ve been making it with courgette instead, making it an even quicker dish to whip up!
This courgetti aglio e olio is a good alternative if you’re looking for something that’s low in carbohydrates. Courgettes are rich in skin glowing vitamin A & C and also in vitamin B6 which you need to produce important neurotransmitters such as serotonin.
When I make this courgetti aglio e olio, I like to add a good handful of pine nuts or pumpkin seeds to pack on an extra boost of nutrients and for added crunch! And if I’m feeling extra hungry, I sometimes add a poached egg on top of it! So there it! Enjoy!
Mixed Courgetti Aglio e Olio
- 600 g courgette
- 6 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1-2 chilis finely chopped (or 1/2-1 tablespoon chili flakes)
- 4-5 tbsp olive oil
- Handful of flat leaf parsley chopped (1/3 cup)
- Handful of pine nuts optional, but recommended
- Pecorino or parmesan
- Spiralize the courgette.* (Check Note) Set aside
- Heat the olive oil in a wide pan on low medium heat.
- Add the garlic and fry until soft and slightly golden on the edges (Make sure to not burn the garlic as it will make it taste bitter!)
- Add the chili and cook for half a minute.
- Add the courgetti, parsley and stir until the courgetti is covered and warm.
- Serve with a handful of freshly grated pecorino, black pepper and a handful of pine nuts.