A healthy and nourishing courgette and miso soup! Vegan and gluten free!
The other day I when I did my food shopping I saw that the grocery shop had a good deal on local courgettes, so I just had to buy a few. It’s always good to have in. And one of the dishes I made with the courgettes was this easy courgette miso soup!
This soup is vegan, gluten free (if using GF-soy sauce) and takes about 20-25 minutes to make. And even though I do like the whole cooking process, and I like spending some time in the kitchen to create a meal, I do appreciate meals that are quick to whip up for those days that you can’t be bothered to cook. Because we all have those days.
Like after a hard day at work, when you’re tired, when you’re sick or when you just really don’t want to cook. Days when you want something nourishing and quick to make, soup is always a winner. Much better than having a ready meal or a take away. And friendlier to your wallet too.
This courgette miso soup is pretty straight forward. Chop up your vegetables, fry of onions, fry the courgette, add coconut milk, water, miso, soy. Simmer until courgette is soft. Blend. Add salt and pepper to taste. And more water if you wish your soup to be runnier.
Add more salt and pepper if needed. Done.
Serve with a handful of sprouted mung beans for an extra nutritional boost, some chopped spring onions for crunch and some sesame seeds for taste, calcium boost and for aesthetic pleasure.
A sprinkle of sesame seeds has the ability to spruce up and make dishes look more moreish. They say you eat with your eyes, but it’s a good thing that sesame seeds are tasty as.
Courgette Miso Soup
- 400 g courgette
- 2 shallots
- 2 garlic gloves
- 0.5 tablespoon miso or more to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce use GF if needed
- 240 ml / 1 cup coconut milk
- 240 ml / 1 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Spring onions
- Mung beans
- Sesame seeds
- Chop shallot and garlic. Fry on medium heat in a bit of coconut oil until translucent, which will take about 5 minutes.
- Whilst the shallot and garlic are frying, dice your courgette.
- Once the shallot and garlic are soft and translucent, add your courgette, fry for a minute or two and add coconut milk and water. Leave to simmer (don't boil as the coconut milk might split) for about 10 minutes, or until the courgette has softened.
- Blend the soup until smooth. Taste with salt (and miso, you might want a little bit more depending on how much you like miso)
- Serve each bowl with a handful of mung beans, spring onions and a sprinkle of black and white sesame seeds.