Smoked Salmon and Avocado Cocktail, a rendition of a retro dish! It’s fresh, elegant and a total crowd pleaser! A great starter for New Year’s Eve, a dinner party or Valentines day!
Smoked Salmon and Avocado Cocktail
This smoked salmon and avocado cocktail is the perfect starter for you if you’re looking for starter that’s sophisticated and contemporary. It’s a spin of classic that’s stood the test of time, the prawn (shrimp) cocktail!
In this recipe, smoked salmon is finely chopped and mixed together with diced mango, cucumber, chilli and lime juice, served on a bed of a smooth avocado cream. It’s a fresh, delicious, elegant starter that has an asian touch thanks to the chilli, lime and coriander!
Smoked Salmon and Avocado Cocktail – How to Make ahead
This meal can be prepared the night before to save you time.
With the avocado cream – once you’ve made it, transfer it over to a container, pack tightly and put the avocado stone into the mixture. Take a piece of baking paper, cut it so it fits the container and press it on top of the avocado cream – this will prevent it from oxidising and turning brown. You can also cover with cling film, make sure it’s pressed down so the avocado cream doesn’t come in contact with air. If any of the avocado cream has oxidised (the edges may be slightly oxidised), you can easily scape it off.
The salmon topping can be partially prepared by chopping/dicing all the ingredients and placing them in separate containers. Before serving, mix all the ingredients with lime juice and oil. If you mix it all together the night before, the salmon may be cured from the fruit acids and lime juice, therefore it’s better to keep all ingredients separate before serving.
And when you’re about to serve this, simply combine all the ingredients and assemble the cocktails with the avocado cream on the bottom and the salmon/mango mix on top!
Smoked Salmon and Avocado Cocktail – Nutrition Facts
- Omega-3: Salmon contains the omega-3 fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid. These can have a positive effect on cardiovascular health and cognitive function and is essential for brain development during early stages of life. These fatty acids are also also anti-inflammatory and they support skin health!
- Monounsaturated fat: Avocado is rich in monounsaturated fats, which are good for heart health and for keeping skin soft and supple!
- Vitamin D: Salmon is one of few foods that naturally contain vitamin D! Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin that influences over 2000 genes (!) in the body! It’s most known for its role in bone health, helping to keep your bones strong, but it’s also important for immune function, helps to control inflammation and for muscle function.
- Vitamin B’s: This meal packs a good dose of different vitamin B’s which all are important for metabolism but also for the production of different neurotransmitters. For example, vitamin B6 is important for the production of serotonin, which is known for its ability to promote feelings of happiness and wellbeing.
- Vitamin E: An powerful antioxidant in the body that can help to keep your body’s cells strong and healthy!
This smoked salmon and avocado cocktail is the perfect starter for any occasion! New Year’s Eve, dinner party or if you’re simply having a dinner for dinner for two (or one for that matter!)
Want some more smoked salmon recipes? Check out these recipes
- Spring Salmon Salad – This recipe may be called Spring Salmon Salad but it can be enjoyed any time of the year!
- Avocado Salmon Terrine – A different take on a salmon terrine, served with a refreshing yellow pepper coulis!
- Egg Pancake with Smoked Salmon and Kimchi – A fusion of flavours!
- Celeriac and Apple Soup with Smoked Salmon – An aromatic soup that’s big on flavour! Perfect winter warmer!
If you make this recipe, comment and rate it! And don’t forget to take a picture and tag @nutritionstmeetschef on Instagram!
Smoked Salmon and Avocado Cocktail! A fresh and elegant starter for a dinner party, New Year's Eve or for a dinner for two!
- 80 g cold smoked salmon chopped into smaller pieces
- 1/2 mango cubed
- 1/8 of a cucumber peeled, deseeded and cubed (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 chilli finely chopped (more or less to taste)
- 1-2 tbsp chopped coriander cilantro
- 0.5-1 tbsp oil an oil with neutral taste or a very mild olive oil
- Squeeze of fresh lime
- Salt to taste
- 1 avocado peeled and stone removed
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- / zest of 1/3 lime
- 1.5 tbsp neutral oil
- 0.5 thai red eye chilli more or less depending on how much you like chili
- 1/4 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- Salt to taste
Combine salmon, mango, cucumber, oil and coriander in a bowl. Add lime juice and salt. Taste. Add more salt or lime juice to taste.
Place all ingredients in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Taste and add more salt (or chili) if needed.
Assemble the cocktail by placing the avocado cream on the bottom of a cocktail glass and place the salmon on top.