Chicken Kale and Brown Rice with Coconut Tahini Sauce – An effortless meal that’s perfect for a weeknight diner! Gluten free and dairy free!
I’m a big fan of meals that are quick and easy to throw together for everyday cooking
And this chicken kale and brown rice drizzled with a coconut tahini sauce is a kind of meal I like to throw together when there is lack of time and effort to cook, as this meal is effortless, humble and incredibly satisfying.
Kale is the star in this meal and is also one of the biggest stars in the world of health and nutrition! It’s kale all the way everywhere, and has been for a long time, and there is a good reason for it as kale is a really nutritious veg! It’s loaded with
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
Kale is also rich in many phytonutrients that can help the body’s defence against free radicals, prevent inflammation and keep your cells on good shape. It’s rich in lutein which can help to keep your eyes healthy. But there is one phytonutrient that’s of special interest called glucosinolates. And when kale is eaten, glucosinolate is broken down into smaller bioactive compounds that may be able to prevent cancer! Kale is also high in fibre which can help to lower cholesterol levels and it can help to support the immune system and keep your skin healthy.
Eating kale raw can be a bit of a challenge, as it can be quite woody and hard to chew!
The “secret” to make kale amazing to eat is to massage it, so it gets soft and supple! And the best thing is that kale only gets better after it’s been massaged and dressed with oil, compared to other leafy greens that tend to wilt as soon as they’re dressed!
So you can prep a lot of kale and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days, which is good for all of you who are into food prep! 🙂
This meal can be adapted to your liking. If you prefer chicken thighs to breast, go for that. And if you’re more of a quinoa person than a brown rice person, serve this with quinoa!
And this meal can easily be turned vegetarian/vegan. Either serve it with fried tofu (yum!) or some sort of beans such as chickpeas or white beans! As long as you got the tahini coconut sauce and the massaged kale you’re sorted!
You can also add some extra veg to give this chicken kale brown rice bowl a nutrition boost. Avocado is amazing to serve on the side, as well as sautéed mushrooms or raw grated carrots!
If you make this meal, don’t forget to comment and rate it! Also, take a photo and share it on instagram (don’t forget to hashtag #nutritionistmeetschef) or share it on facebook!
Chicken Kale and Brown Rice with Tahini Sauce
- 4 chicken breasts
- 400 g / 2 cups brown rice
- 320 g kale ( a good few handfuls), chopped, without stems
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Coconut Tahini Sauce
- 110 ml / 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp fresh minced ginger
- 3 tbsp tamari soy (or light soy sauce)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp lime juice
- chilli (optional)
- Cook the rice according to the instructions on the package.
- While the rice is cooking, make the coconut tahini sauce by combining all the ingredients in a bowl until combined. Adjust flavours by adding more lime juice, more honey to accommodate your taste. Set aside.
- Place the kale in a bowl with oil and a good pinch of salt. Massage the kale for a couple of minutes until soft and slightly wilted. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat up a large frying pan and fry the chicken on both sides until browned. Place the chicken in the oven for 10-15 minutes and cook until done.
- Combine the rice with kale and serve with the chicken either shredded and mixed into the rice or sliced into smaller pieces.
- Drizzle with tahini sauce and enjoy!