Butternut Squash Pasta! Light, healthy and incredibly satisfying! The perfect autumnal pasta dish!
Who doesn’t love a big bowl of pasta from time t0 time?
This butternut squash pasta is the perfect pasta for those occasions! It’s loaded with flavour and it’s so incredibly velvety and creamy, despite not having any cream in it at all! The butternut squash itself adds so much creaminess so there’s no need for cream!
Also, this butternut squash pasta is incredibly easy to make, requiring less than 8 ingredients, so what’s not to like about this recipe?
Butternut Squash Pasta – Nutrition Breakdown
This butternut squash pasta is packed with
- Vitamin A – This meal is loaded with beta carotene, which is converted to active vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is essential for immune function, important for eye health and helps to maintain a healthy and vibrant skin! Also, beta carotene works as an antioxidants and helps to protect your cells against free radical damage.
- Dietary fibre – Which is something many of us eat too little of! Fibre is very important for a healthy gut, keeping you regular and it also keeps your blood sugar levels balanced! And if you’re serve this meal with whole wheat pasta or brown rice pasta, you’ll get even more fibre!
- Vitamin B6 – Important for the production of the feel good hormone serotonin and for energy production.
- Magnesium – This mineral is essential for over 300 reactions in the body! It helps to convert the food you eat into energy and is important for bone health.
- Vitamin C – Essential for strong and supple skin, healthy gums and for immune function!
This butternut squash pasta can easily be gluten free – simply use gluten free pasta. And to make it dairy free (& vegan!), swap the parmesan for nutritional yeast!
Love pasta? Check out these recipes
- Chilli Garlic Prawn Pasta – Fresh and loaded with flavour and super easy to whip up! Don’t miss out on this one!
- Lentil Bolognese – Taste just as good (if not better!) as its meaty counterpart!
- Beet Pesto – A true favourite and perfect together with pasta!
- Gluten Free Meatballs in Marinara Sauce – Juicy and flavour packed meatballs with pasta! A hearty and substantial meal!
If you make this recipe, please comment and rate it! And don’t forget to take a photo and hashtag #nutritionistmeetschef on Instagram!
Butternut Squash Pasta
- 400 g butternut squash peel and diced
- 1 large banana shallot finely chopped
- 1 garlic glove finely chopped.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp thyme I used fresh thyme
- Good pinch of ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spaghetti - enough for 2 persons
- Bring a pan with salted water to boil.
- Once the water is boiling, add the butternut squash. Boil for 10-15 minutes, or until soft.
- Pour out the water, and purée the butternut squash in a blender. Set aside.
- Bring another pan with water to boil for the pasta. Cook pasta according to the instructions on the packet
- Whilst the pasta is being cooked, start with making your pasta sauce.
- Heat up the olive oil in a pan. Fry the shallot and garlic on medium heat until soft and translucent.
- Add the butternut squash purée, thyme and nutmeg. Add salt and pepper to taste. Leave to cook for a few minutes so the flavours can infuse. If the sauce is too thick, add a little bit of water to loosen it up.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and mix so the pasta is covered with the sauce.
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan or pecorino, a pinch of thyme and a sprinkle of black pepper!
- Gluten free - Use GF pasta!
- Dairy free - Swap the pecorino/parmesan for nutritional yeast