Butternut Squash Steaks – A plant based alternative!
Cauliflower steaks is one of the more popular versions, but many other vegetables such as aubergine or butternut squash, are perfect to make “steaks” with!
Here the butternut squash steaks are served with a zesty and fresh herbed lentil salad, feta cheese and pomegranate!
These butternut squash steaks are a real crowd pleaser and will impress vegetarian and meat eaters alike!
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERNUT SQUASH STEAKS
To make a butternut squash steak, simply cut the squash into 1/2″ thick steaks. Be careful when you cut the squash as the skin is very thick! Make sure you have a very sharp knife before you cut it so the knife won’t slip!
A really sharp knife is essential (as always when it comes to cooking)
Butternut Squash Steaks with Herbed Lentils – Nutrition Breakdown
- Vitamin A – This fat soluble vitamin is is essential for healthy eye sight, strong immune system and important for healthy skin!
- Dietary fibre – Fibre will help you stay fuller for longer and keep your blood sugar levels in check. Also good for gut health and for weight management!
- Iron – Helps to keep you energised as it’s a part of hemoglobin, which is the oxygen carrying molecule in the body!
- Vitamin E – Another fat soluble vitamin which works more as an antioxidant in the body as it protects the body against free radicals and protects cell membranes which is good for heart health!
- Vitamin K – Important for blood clotting and and for maintaining bone density.
This meal is both vegetarian and gluten free!
Looking for more Butternut Squash recipes?
- Rosemary Roasted Butternut Squash – Perfect side dish to roast dinner or veggie burgers!
- Butternut Squash Pasta – This pasta is incredibly creamy despite having no cream (or dairy for that matter) in it!
- Vegan Butternut Squash Soup – A creamy, warming and nourishing soup!
If you make this recipe, please comment and rate it! And don’t forget to take a picture and @nutritionistmeetschef on Instagram! We love to see your pictures!
Butternut Squash Steak with Herby Lentils
- 1 butternut squash, about 1 kg / 2.2 lb
- 280 g beluga lentils (uncooked)
- 60 g / 1 cup chopped parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4-5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, zest from
- 100 g feta cheese
- 1 pomegranate, arils from
- Preheat the oven to 220°C / 420 ° F
- Cook the lentils according to instructions.
- Whilst the lentils are cooking, cut the butternut squash into 4 steaks lengthways by first cutting of a small slice off the fattest part of the butternut squash (so all the steaks have two flat sides) Remove the seeds and rub a little bit of oil on both sides of the steaks.
- Place the steaks in an ovenproof dish or a lined oven tray and place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes, or until tender and golden.
- Combine the mixed parsley with minced garlic and olive oil. Combine with the cooked lentils and add lemon zest. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the steaks are done, serve the steaks with herby lentils salad and top with crumbled feta cheese and pomegranate arils.