Black Rice, Vegetable and Egg Bowls with Peanut Sauce! An effortless meal that’s perfect for a lunchbox!
I’ve have completely fallen in love with black rice! The slightly chewy texture and the sweet and slightly nutty flavour is just amazing and I cannot get enough of it!
And I find that black rice really fills me up in a pleasant way and also keeps my energy levels steady after I’ve eaten it! Black rice is loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and fibre, and super easy to prep and make! So it’s a win win on all levels!
Black rice takes about 45 minutes to cook, so if you’re making it and planning to have it the following day, boil a few extra portions to save time. It’s nice to eat both hot and cold, and it reheats well too!
These Black Rice, Vegetable and Egg Bowls with Peanut Sauce have been my go to meal for lunch lately, as they’re easy to prepare, filling and of course very delicious! The peanut sauce is similar to the one I made for my cauliflower steaks with peanut sauce, except I replaced the coconut milk with water, as I didn’t have coconut milk at home when I first made it, but it was just as delicious, just slightly less coconut-y so I’ve continued making it with water if I’m making small batches of peanut sauce.
I used carrots and broccoli when I made these black rice, vegetable and egg bowls, but finely sliced cabbage and cauliflower also work great with this meal!
Black Rice, Vegetable and Egg Bowls with Peanut Sauce
- 160 g 2/3 cups uncooked black rice + water
- 2 boiled eggs
- 1 head of broccoli
- 80 ml 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 3 tbsp water
- 0.5 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 glove garlic minced
- 1 tsp honey
- Salt to taste
- Cook the black rice according to the instruction on the package. This will take about 45 minutes.
- When the rice is nearly done, cook the eggs to your liking*
- Chop the broccoli into smaller florets and steam until tender.
- Grate or spiralize the carrots.
- Combine all ingredients to the peanut sauce in a bowl and whisk until combined. Add more water if you wish the peanut sauce to be more runny.
- To serve, divide black rice and vegetables into bowls. Top with the egg and drizzle peanut sauce over the dish. Garnish with fresh coriander and sesame seeds