A warm and hearty beetroot and lentil salad served with a fresh and creamy avocado basil dressing! This salad is nutritious but first and foremost delicious! Gluten free + Vegan!
A salad is always a good idea, even during the colder months, and this beetroot and lentil salad is perfect for the winter. It has a base of roasted beetroots and carrots, that are mixed with hearty protein rich beluga lentils. A few handfuls of spinach is thrown into the salad along with a small handful of flat-leaf parsley. Finely sliced raw chioggia beetroot and toasted pumpkin seeds is added for crunch and texture. To finish the salad it is dressed with an creamy and fresh avocado and basil dressing.
Beetroot and Lentil Salad – Nutrition Breakdown
This salad is bursting with colour but first and foremost with nutrients!
- B-vitamins – This salad is packed with most B-vitamins, which are all central to breaking down the carbohydrates, protein and fats you eat and turning it into energy. Also essential for cognitive health, healthy nervous system and for healthy and strong hair and nails.
- Magnesium – This mineral that many of us don’t eat enough of, is important for muscle function and is a key player in hundreds of enzymatic reactions in the body.
- Potassium – A mineral that’s not mentioned often but is very important! Potassium helps to regulate blood pressure and is vital for nerve function.
- Iron – This salad is packed with iron thanks to the lentils and spinach! Iron helps to keep you feeling energised and alert!
- Fibre – Fibre helps to keep your digestive system healthy, your blood sugar levels balanced and keeps you fuller for longer!
This salad is loaded with many more essential vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals that all contribute to keep your body healthy and strong!
Love lentils? Check out these recipes
- Lentil Salad with Mango Dressing – This salad is completely plant-based and it has so many complex flavours and textures. It’s truly amazing!
- Moroccan Style Lentil and Quinoa Salad – Fresh, zesty and packed with flavour! Perfect for meal prep!
- Lentil Bolognese – A lentil bolognese is just as good as its meat based counterpart.
- Butternut Squash Steaks with Herbed Lentils – Incredible flavours and colours in this meal! Super easy to prepare and sure to impress!
If you make this beetroot and lentil salad, comment and rate it! And take a picture and tag@nutritionistmeetschef on Instagram and Facebook!
A warm and hearty beetroot and lentil salad with an avocado basil dressing!
- 100 g Beetroots (abut 2 beets
- 100 g Carrots (about medium sized 2 carrots)
- 100 g 1/2 cup beluga lentils
- handfuls of spinach
- flat-leaf parsley
- 35 g 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 chioggia beetroot
- 1 avocado
- Handful of basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- 2-4 tbsp water
- 0.5 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 225°C / 200°C fan
Wash and scrub the beetroots and carrot.
Cut into evenly sized pieces and mix with a little bit of oil and salt and pepper.
Spread the vegetables on a lined baking tray and bake for around 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
Whilst the vegetables are roasting, cook the lentils according to packet instructions.
Finely slice the chioggia beetroot on a mandolin or with a sharp knife. Toast the pumpkin seeds.
Make the avocado basil dressing by combining all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Add water until desired consistency.
Assemble the salad by mixing spinach, flat-leaf parsley, roasted veg, cooked lentils, raw sliced beetroots and pumpkin seeds. Serve it with the avocado dressing.
- If you want to toast your pumpkin seeds, heat a dry frying pan on medium- high heat. Add the pumpkin seeds and toast for a couple of minute, or until golden brown. Constantly move the pan whilst toasting the pumpkin seeds.