Beet Carpaccio with Rosemary, Honey Candied Walnuts and Goat Cheese Cream is a great starter for any dinner party!
Beets are hands down one of my favourite vegetables. And when paired with goat cheese, it’s a match made in heaven!
I seriously cannot get enough of beets and goat cheese and I had to share this recipe here as it’s so delicious!
Also, isn’t this dish absolutely beautiful to look at? Candy Cane beets have to be one of the most beautiful vegetables on the planet!
Candy cane beets are also known as chioggia beets, and taste like normal beets but slightly milder. Also, candy cane beets are best enjoyed uncooked as they loose the beautiful marbling when they’re cooked, so they’re perfect to use in a beet carpaccio.
When making this beet carpaccio, I find that it’s good to marinate the sliced beets, as opposed to keeping the beets completely raw, as marinating them tenderises the beets and make the beets more pliable and easier to eat. And luckily, marinating the candy cane beets will not ruin the beautiful marbling!
In this beet carpaccio recipe, the beets are served with a goat cheese cream, which is simply made by mixing goat cheese with a small dollop of greek yogurt. Then it’s topped with honey candied walnuts with rosemary, which adds sweetness and crunch that complements the beets and goat cheese perfectly. Rocket is added as a finishing touch, and don’t skip it as the peppery rocket adds that extra punch of flavour that brings the whole dish together!
If you can’t find candy cane beet, the normal red beet can be used instead. It will be just as tasty!
If you’re a beet lover as me, check out these other beet recipes; beetroot soup with garlic chickpeas, beet and quinoa burger, baked feta with beet salsa, roasted beets with halloumi and pomegranate vinaigrette or this popular beetroot pesto!
Candy Cane Beet Carpaccio
- 100 g Beets
- 50 ml Lemon juice (1/4 cup)
Goat Cheese Cream
- 70 g goat cheese (chévre)
- 1 tbsp greek yogurt
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Rosemary and Honey Candied Walnuts
- 20 g / 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- Start with slicing the beets, preferably on a mandolin but if you don't have one, you could use the slicer part on the side of a grater or carefully slice the beets as thinly as you can with a sharp knife.
- Place the sliced beets in a bowl and pour lemon juice over the beets. Add a pinch of salt and mix. Make sure the beets are evenly covered with lemon juice. Set aside and leave to marinate whilst preparing the rest of the ingredients
- Make the goat cheese cream by removing the rind of the cheese. Mash it with a fork in a bowl until mushy. Add the yogurt and mash until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat a large pan and toast the walnuts until they become fragrant. Remove the walnuts of the pan. Add honey and rosemary to the pan, put the walnuts back in the pan and stir around to coat with the honey. Once coated, place the honey candied walnuts on a baking sheet to cool. Once cooled, break it into smaller pieces.