Baked Feta with Beetroot Salsa: Baked feta is softer and has a slightly more mellow flavour than it’s unbaked counterpart! This meal is great as a main meal, or can be enjoyed as a starter if split in two!
I love cheese. And today I’m sharing a recipe with one of my cheese loves, feta cheese.
And one of my favourite ways to enjoy feta cheese is baked.
Baked in the oven.
It’s completely different to the unadulterated version.
Baked feta has a softer consistency. And it has a slightly chewy outer layer that covers the soft inside! So you get a little bit of a bite along with the soft inside, without being gooey and stringy.
Flavour wise, the baked one has a rounder and less sharp flavour, which might have something to do with the consistency. It still taste like feta though!
The baked feta in this recipe is served with a beetroot salsa, which has cooked beets, capers, shallot, flat leaf parsley and a little drizzle of olive oil. And of course, salt and pepper. Super easy to make but oh so flavoursome.
The earthy and sweet flavours from the beetroot salsa go really with the feta cheese and kinda balances out the saltiness from the cheese.
This baked feta with beetroot salsa is great as a main meal, but can also be a starter if split in two! Serve it with a big green salad, maybe a slice of bread and you got yourself a whole meal!
- 100 g feta cheese a block of feta
- 150 g cooked beets finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp capers chopped
- 2-3 tbsp parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp shallot finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Place the feta cheese on a oven proof dish, or on a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
Lightly rub some oil on the feta.
Place the feta in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until soft and slightly golden.
Whilst the feta is baking, make the beetroot salsa by combining all the ingredients in a bowl. Taste with salt and pepper.
Serve the baked feta with beetroot salsa, a green salad and a piece of bread.
*Serves one as a main, two as a starter
This Baked Feta with Beetroot Salsa is
- Vegetarian (if the cheese is vegetarian, check the label)
- Gluten Free
- Rich in vitamin B-12, important for red blood cell formation and helps to keep you feeling alert and energised.
- A great source of immune boosting vitamin A. Vitamin A is also important for good eye health
- Rich in calcium, needed for strong bones but also crucial for muscle contraction!
- Good source of zinc, a mineral important for several hundreds of functions in the body!