This watermelon feta chili salad is great for summer parties, BBQs, picnics and buffets.
Lately I’ve making loads of watermelon and feta cheese salad. I just love the combination of sweet and salty! And to make the salad even better, I like to add chili to it. It gives the salad a little bit of a kick and heat, which I love as I am quite a chili fiend and kinda add it to (almost) everything.
To make this salad you want a sweet and juicy watermelon, so it’s important to pick a good one!
But how do you pick a good one? There are a few things you can look for when you’re watermelon picking.
- Make sure the melon is free from bruises and marks.
- The melon should have a yellow spot that is creamy in colour, which is the spot the melon gets from laying on the ground whilst being ripened in the sun. If this spot is pale or greenish, the watermelon might be underripe.
- The watermelon should be heavy for its size, as it consists of more than 90% water! Light melon = less water = dry melon! So pick a HEAVY one.
- You want your melon to be smooth and have an even shape.
I usually give the melon a knock to listen to the sound it gives off. Learnt this trick from a cooking show many years ago when the presenter was trying to pick the perfect watermelon. If the sound is deep and hollow, it should be a good one. I find that this trick works most times, together with the other tips mentioned.
If you follow these tips when you’re out watermelon shopping you should find yourself a tasty, sweet, juicy watermelon.
This watermelon feta chili salad is great for summer parties, buffets and picnics. Serve this grilled meats and fish, or enjoy it on its own!
- 500 g watermelon
- 200 g feta cheese
- 2 shallots (or one small red onion)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp champagne vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1-2 red chili (remove seeds for less heat)*
- Handfull of parsley leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the watermelon into small cubes.
- Finely slice the shallots.
- Combine watermelon, shallots, olive oil, vinegar and chili.
- Crumble feta cheese over the salad and add the parsley leaves. Gently combine everything.
- Finish with a little bit of salt and pepper to taste.