Watermelon feta chilli salad – great for summer parties, BBQs, picnics and buffets.
This watermelon and chilli salad is one of my favourite summer salads! I just love the combination of sweet and salty! And what makes the salad even better is that it has chilli in it!!! It gives the salad a nice kick that complements the sweetness perfectly. Also, I’m quite a chilli fiend and kinda add it to (almost) everything. It makes (almost) everything better in my world.
To make this salad you want a sweet, nice and juicy watermelon, so it’s important to pick a good one!
But how do you pick a good one? There are a few things you can look for when you’re watermelon picking.
- Make sure the melon is free from bruises and marks.
- The melon should have a yellow spot that is creamy in colour, which is the spot the melon gets from laying on the ground whilst being ripened in the sun. If this spot is pale or greenish, the watermelon may be underripe.
- The watermelon should be heavy for its size, as it consists of more than 90% water. Light melon = less water = dry melon! So pick a HEAVY one.
- You want your melon to be smooth and have an even shape.
I usually give the melon a knock to listen to the sound it gives off. I picked up this trick from a cooking show many years ago when the presenter was trying to pick the perfect watermelon. If the sound is deep and hollow, it should be a good one. I find that this trick works most times, together with the other tips mentioned.
If you follow these tips when you’re out watermelon shopping you should find yourself a tasty, sweet, juicy watermelon.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE WATERMELON FETA CHILLI SALAD
This watermelon feta chilli salad is great for summer parties, buffets and picnics. Serve this grilled meats and fish, or enjoy it on its own!
Watermelon Feta Chilli Salad! A great salad to serve with grilled meats, fish or at a dinner party! Also great enjoyed on its own too!
- 500 g watermelon (about 4 cups cubed)
- 200 g feta cheese
- 2 shallots (or one small red onion)
- 1-2 red chillies (remove the seeds and white inner parts for less heat)*
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp champagne vinegar (or lemon juice)
- Handful of parsley leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
Peel and dice the watermelon. Set aside
Finely slice the shallots. Chop the chillies. Set aside.
Combine olive oil and vinegar in a bowl and whisk (or pour it into a small jar with a lid and give it a good shake)
Combine watermelon, shallot, chilli and the oil & vinegar mix. Mix all until combined.
Crumble feta cheese over the salad and add the parsley leaves. Gently mix the salad together.
Finish with salt and pepper to taste.