A spicy chickpea burger with coriander mayo and pickled carrots! So good that it will convert the most devout meat eater!
Chickpeas are amazing! They are tasty, inexpensive and good very good for you! They’re rich in blood building iron, fibres that will feed your microbiota and immune boosting zinc!
But they’re also great for making a mean veggie burger, like this spicy chickpea burger with coriander mayo and pickled carrots!
This burger is made with chickpeas and boiled potatoes, so it’s egg free, dairy free and gluten free!
It’s important that when making thus burger, you don’t overwork the batter The trick is to use your hands to combine the chickpeas and potato until they are just combined!
You kinda want there to be whole bits of both potato and chickpea in the batter. Not completely smooth like a hummus. If you overwork the mixture, the burger will be more mushy. Like eating hummus with a crispy coating.
I’ve had plenty of veggie burger without texture and a burger without texture is pretty disappointing.
So remember, don’t overwork the chickpea and potato batter!
Also, if you make these and use canned chickpeas, don’t throw the brine! The brine can be used to make these egg free peanut butter cookies!
- 230 g chickpeas (400 g canned)
- 3 small potatoes, boiled and peeled (175g)
- 1 tsp sambal oelek
- ½ tsp cumin
- 3 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp potato starch
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 3 tbsp mayonaise
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander
- ½ tsp lime juice
- 1 medium carrot
- 50 ml white vinegar
- 100 ml water
- 4 tbsp sugar
- Start with making the pickled carrots and the mayo.
- Peel the carrot and use the peeler to slice small ribbons of carrot. Place the carrots in a bowl cold water.
- Add water, vinegar and sugar to a pan and cook until sugar's dissolved.
- Remove carrots from cold water and place in another bowl. Pour vinegar mixture over the carrots. Leave for minimum 20 min. Drain before serving.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and mash it all together with your hands until it binds together. Shape to burgers and fry in oil for 2 minutes on each side on medium high heat.
- Serve the burger with bread of your choice, on rice or with a lettuce wrap and serve with fresh lettuce, coriander mayo and top of with quickly pickled carrots!