Do you want a quick recipe? Then this 15 minute meal portobello black bean tacos is something for you!
Tacos is the perfect meal any time of the week really. Filling, savoury and it has that comfort food feeling to it. And you eat it with our hands, which is something I really enjoy for some reason. Maybe it’s the primal aspect to it, using your hands instead of cutlery.
Back to this dish. There are probably as many variations to tacos as there are colours, and today I’m bringing you portobello black bean tacos! This version, on the picture, is completely vegan, as I served it with a cashew sour cream sauce. Never done it before, and I felt it was about time I tried to make it! And you know what? It was actually really nice! To be frank though, I do prefer the real deal, but cashew sour cream is a strong contender, and a great dairy free alternative! But feel free to use whatever sour cream that rocks your boat!
I’ve made black bean tacos for many years, and usually I make it with beef mince or chicken! But as we all should and could eat more vegetarian food, so I’ve been making this meal with portobello mushrooms instead! It adds a meaty texture to the dish, and that umami flavour too, so it’s almost hard to notice that this is completely meat free!
I made these tacos with a mexican style coleslaw. Before I always used spinach or lettuce, but cabbage is absolutely fantastic with this kind of food, adding a nice crunch and bite, and lets not forget amazing flavour. Because that’s what its really all about. I like to mix both white and red cabbage as it looks nice, but you can go with one or the other.
But the best thing with this meal (except for being utterly delicious!) is that it literally takes no more than 15 minutes to make! The only thing that take time is making the coleslaw (but as it’s not a massive portion it does not take long – took me less than 5 minutes to make the slaw!) but if you’re really short on time you can use one of those pre shredded coleslaw salad bags! Just fry the mushrooms and beans, add your condiments and then you’re literally done! And it doesn’t leave the kitchen in a complete mess!
Serve these portobello black bean tacos with avocado, hot sauce (a MUST!), sweet corn, plenty of fresh coriander and the meal is complete and ready to be devoured!
- A couple of handfuls of cabbage, finely shredded (enough for 2-3 people, about 200 g)
- 1 carrot, julienned (or grated)
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- ½ garlic, minced
- 1-2 tbsp lime juice (about 1 lime)
- Small handful (about ⅓ cup) coriander, roughly chopped
- 1.5 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 1 x 400 g tin black beans (drained about 240 g)
- 2 portobello mushrooms (about 200 g), sliced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- Small pinch of cayenne and cinnamon
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- Sour Cream*
- Hot Sauce
- Sweet Corn
- Combine cabbage, carrot, red onion, coriander and garlic in a bowl. Add oil, 0.5 tbsp lime juice and a good dash of salt and mix thoroughly. Start with adding a little bit of lime juice, and add more until you got the right acidity and salt balance. 1 tbsp is usually good, but start with 0.5 tbsp and work yourself up until you got the right acidity. Once good, set aside whilst making the tacos.
- Fry the mushrooms in a little bit of oil on high heat until browned. Add the bean, spices and garlic and fry for a minute or two on medium heat. Add salt to taste
- Serve the tacos on tortilla with the mexican slaw, finely sliced avocado, sour cream, hot sauce, jalapeno, sweet corn and a good handful of coriander.
*Vegan? Use vegan sour cream